Women make up approximately 50.5 percent of the U.S. population, with around 22 percent of them between the ages of 5 and 18. That makes for a lot of young women out there who will soon start using makeup for the first time or only picked makeup up in the last few years.
For new makeup users, making sense of makeup trends and beauty trends is often a baffling project. Without understanding the essentials, you can’t understand the finer points of how to do makeup.
If that sounds like your situation, keep reading for our guide to makeup for beginners.
There are a small handful of key complexion products you’ll use. The most common ones are:
- Primer – creates a smooth base
- Foundation – evens out skin tone
- Concealer – provides more coverage over imperfection, such as dark circles
- Blush and Bronzer – add color
- Highlighter and contour – add depth
- Setting – keeps makeup locked in place
Realistically, you won’t use all of these products at the same time. Yet, you will use all of them at some point.
There are also several key eye products. Some of the more common products are:
- Eyeshadow primer – helps hold makeup in place
- Eyeshadow – accentuates the eyes
- Eyeliner – creates definition for the eyes and alters the shape
- Mascara – makes eyebrows look fuller, darker, or longer
Again, you likely won’t use all of these daily, but you probably will find a use for all of them at some point.
Yes, there are even products for your eyebrows, although not quite so many. The key eyebrow products include:
- Eyebrow gel – holds eyebrow hairs in place
- Eyebrow pencil – let you literally draw in hairs where you need them
- Eyebrow powder – helps fill spots in your eyebrows that look sparse
With new eyebrow trends on the horizon, these products will see more use than you might think.
The lips get a lot of attention because, after all, people will often look at your mouth when you speak. Some of the more popular lip products include:
- Primer – helps with applying other lip products
- Pencil – helps define or enhance your lip shape
- Lipstick – lets you add color
- Lip gloss – creates a sheen and may add color
It will take some experiments before you figure out what works best for you in terms of application and products. If you’re not sure what products to use, you can get a deal on some makeup with this Ulta coupon $10 off $40.
Makeup for Beginners and You
When it comes to makeup for beginners, knowing what products do what is often the biggest hurdle. After all, you can’t put the right things on in the right order without that knowledge.
As you move forward with makeup, adopt the less-is-more approach at first. It’s easy for new makeup users to end up putting on too much, which can make you look a little unnatural.
Looking for more makeup and beauty tips? Check out some more of the posts in our Fashion and Lifestyle sections.