Seafood makes you live 10 years more!
It’s a classic tradition in the Italian-American families to preserve the southern Italian culture of having no meat, but fish for dinner. This tradition is also known as the ‘Feast of Seven Fishes’. It’s a celebration of commemoration of the midnight birth of baby Jesus. It’s a special practice for Christmas eve. A special appetizer treat is the mixed seafood salad which is a personal favorite of every Italian. You can add some creativity to it by preparing a Mexican tuna salad as well.
Look at the ingredients and recipe given below, to begin with, all the yummy fun!
Ingredients you’ll Require
- Two pounds of thawed or fresh squid, cleaned and cut into ¾ inches. Make rings and leave the tentacles as a whole.
- Peeled, deveined medium-sized one pound shrimp
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small jar (8 oz) of roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green and/or black Italian olives, drained
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley with all the thick stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Here’s how you can prepare it!
The mixed seafood salad serves 4-6 people as an appetizer.
- The first step is to scrub the mussels with a very stiff brush and keep in under cold running tap water. Remove all types of fibrous beards from the mussels and throw the mussels with open shells.
- Add 1 tbsp of water to cover the bottom of the 4-quart saucepan. Add clean mussels to it. Cover it and start cooking it over high heat for around one or two minutes. Throw away any of the mussels that fail to open during the process. Now transfer the mussels into a clean bowl and let them cool.
- In a large pot of salted water, boil them at high heat. Keep an ice water bowl beside it. Boil the shrimp until it turns pink, for about two minutes. Now, with the help of a strainer, transfer the ice water to stop cooking and then place it using the drained shrimp in a large bowl.
- Now, add the squid to the boiling water. When the pot has returned to the boil, cook the squid until the tentacles curl back and the rings become opaque. This must go for about 45 seconds to one minute. Drain it well with dry paper towels and add it to the bowl of shrimp.
- Strain all the liquid from the mussels and add it to the bowl of shrimp and squid. Now, add chopped celery, onions, and olives to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, parsley, and ½ cup lemon juice with 1 tbsp of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the mixed seafood salad and stir it gently. You can cover the bowl in a plastic wrap, let the salad marinate in a refrigerator for a better taste.
- Further, bring the salad to room temperature and stir it gently before you serve. You can also serve it with additional lemon slices.
- The ones who wish to add steamed clams, sliced scungilli or cooked or boiled octopus, cooked scallops to the salad, can do it with a little adjustment of the oil and seasonings. You can also go for chopped arugula for a flavorful addition to the mixed seafood salad.
Mama Mia! See, how it tastes….
Before you start preparing for this delicious ‘stay at home’ healthy recipe, you must know from where to buy seafood online! Yes, you must buy it from the most popular and best online seafood store called Italian Food Online Store.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.