While naturally, it might be difficult to know which is most ideal to go for between hiring a professional exterminator and choosing DIY, some factors will determine if hiring a professional is worthwhile.
In this article, I shall give you information with which you compare the cost-benefit of hiring a professional exterminator against laying your hand on those consumer available products to perform DIY methods.
Four Things To Know About Professional Pest Control Technicians (Exterminators) Against DIY
- Most do-it-yourself methods might prove less effective when compared to what a professional exterminator would provide. This is because you will only be limited to locally available products, including chemicals. Conversely, the professionals in the service company could have access to various products that could not be available to consumer groups.
- Before using DIY methods, you have to know that you don’t have the technical know-how to handle chemicals. On the contrary, the professional pest controller gets the long time experience and expertise to handle your need for pests control service. And so, harmful chemicals that are handled wrongly can devastate your properties, including children and yourself, as they could threaten your health.
- As you won’t compare yourself with a professional with long-time practical skills and experience, you might need to go on a long period of the research exercise, looking for the best product to use. Whereas a professional, from their all-time experience, know what to do immediately when they get to work based on your order.
- You might end up going through a phase of trial and error method, which would cause you to live with your home pest infestation until you succeed with the right method. However, with a professional exterminator, you are saved from the risk associated with trial and error, which could cost higher than expected.
Professional Exterminators Vs. DIY Cost Comparison
For general pest control service by a professional exterminator, covering major pest problems, including cockroaches, ants, houseflies, etc., the cost is averagely between $400 to $950.
However, in some special cases, when you need to treat a targeted pest, you might need to pay between $50 to $800, depending on the type of the targeted pest.
For a do-it-yourself method, on the other hand, you will need to shop for the right products yourself, from which the total cost is determined.
Although, the cost of the DIY method also varies depending on the products you need. However, the common cost range for DIY is between $50 to $200—covering the product you will buy, such as:
- control kits: $50 to $200
- Insecticide: $10 to $40
- Indoor foggers: $10 to $25
- Mouse traps: $2 to $50
While hiring a professional pest control could cost much higher when compared to the cost of a DIY method, you should likewise consider some cost-benefits of hiring a professional, as I’ve analyzed earlier.
Hiring a professional would be worth it if you would like to enjoy regularly scheduled service to prevent the sudden need for treatment associated with DIY methods.
Additionally, hiring a professional would be your only option for special treatment involving severe infestation and control of targeted pests like termites and bed bugs, especially when found proliferating in a large part of your home.
You might think of how costly it would be to hire a professional exterminator compared to what you would likely spend on a do-it-yourself method (DIY). Especially based on your need, you might choose DIY,
However, based on my analysis above, hiring professionals would always give you a cost-benefit advantage if you choose to afford its cost.