If eyeglass lenses break, crack, or get scratched, buying new glasses is too expensive, especially where the frames are new or in perfect condition. In that case, eyeglass lens replacement is a great idea to cut down the cost.
Well, online shopping for eyeglass prescription lenses replacement is easy and perfect. If a person follows the simple steps of online lens buying, he not only saves on cost but also enjoys the variety of quality premium brands.
Therefore this writing will help to elaborate, inform, and guide on the online acquisition of the best eyeglasses lenses.
How to buy prescription lenses online
One can need new lenses because of a new prescription or damage of the lenses. Even Amazon has great deals on designer and branded frames, but they all come without prescription lenses installed. In situations like the Covid-19 crisis, it is safest to avoid public places and retail shops. Here is a guide to shop for the best replacement prescription lenses online:
Reading the Prescription
After an eye exam, the law requires the doctor to issue a copy of prescription paper. It has the power (correction required) for your left and right eye. Most prescriptions also have PD (Pupilary Distance) value. The doctors usually recommend the material and coatings for your lenses in the prescription itself. This makes it easier to choose the kind of lenses you need.
If you need correction for either distance or reading, you will need single vision. People above the age of 40 may need correction for both distance and reading (they have an ADD number). For such prescriptions, one can choose lined bifocals or the ‘no-line’ progressive lenses.
Prescription-based lenses material choice
Thickness of the lens is directly related to the power of prescription. Higher the power, thicker the lens of one material. To avoid distortion and the lenses becoming too thick, different materials are recommended. In most cases, the prescription recommends the best lens material. Replacement lenses are mainly in glass, standard plastic (CR-39), polycarbonate, and hi-index materials.
- Glass lenses: These were the oldest kind of lenses. They are optically clear and highly scratch-free but heavy and shatter easily. They are now out of the market for the dangers they impose on the eye in the event of breakage.
- Standard plastic CR-39 replacement lenses: They are lighter than glass and the cheapest optical quality lenses. Plastic CR-39 lenses are great for low prescriptions but they offer less strength and reduced lifespan. They are also prone to scratch hence lose the visual clarity. They also do not provide any UV protection. CR-39 lenses are ideal for readers prescription of low power.
- Polycarbonate lenses. These lenses are light, rigid, and shatterproof or impact resistant. They provide 100% UV protection and are the most widely used and recommended lens material. They work great for low to medium power prescriptions.
- Hi-index replacement lenses: They are the thinnest and lightest material available currently for optical lenses. Lenses are highly impact-resistant and can be used with rimless and semi-rimmed frames. They are perfect for very high prescriptions (above 4.00 D).
Lenses model choice
Online lens shopping has a large pool of different brands and models. One should consider the best quality lenses. Also, you should consider comparing the models to ascertain the best that fits their vision needs.
Most online dealers offer lenses additional features. One can choose various options on the lenses as an added value. These features often come at an additional cost while others are offered free in some stores.
Examples of such features include;
- Anti-Scratch coating. 95% of plastic lenses use this additional feature to reduce scratching. Online dealers offer a scratch warranty on different terms.
- UV coating. The lenses come with a film that reduces the toughness of the sun’s Ultra Violet rays; thus, the risk of cataracts reduces.
- Blue-blocker coating. These coatings help reduce exposure to the computer’s LED light, which is believed to damage the eye retina.
- Anti-Reflective coating. High index and HD lenses with anti-fog technology. They are suitable for people who can’t see clearly on a computer, while driving, or maybe at night.
- Crizal anti-reflective coatings. Crizal is a leader in optical coatings. It’s anti reflective coatings come with different advantaged like the Crizal Prevencia or the Crizal Sapphire.
- Polarized lenses. These are great for replacing sunglass lenses or turning your favorite eyeglass frames to sunglasses. Polarized lenses provide 100% UV protection and are comfortable to wear outdoors.
- Transition lenses or Photochromic lenses. These lenses turn dark in the presence of UV rays from the sun. They can be perfectly clear indoors and turn dark within seconds when outdoors. It is perfect for someone who wants to save on an extra pair of prescription sunglasses.
Several benefits come with online lenses purchasing;
Online buying allows you to access the retail shop without having to drive to the store. You can easily login into the retail shop’s website in the comfort of your house or office. You can also compare different brands at the same time.
Cuts down transport expenses
This type of buying reduces transport expenses. One can place an order from ones home and avail free delivery both ways. You need only to pay for the lenses.
Lenses are much cheaper online than in physical retail shops. Most of these stores have access to brand makers who offer lenses at lower prices. There are online deals like Black Fridays, which can help you save money. Also, there are opportunities to cut down other costs.
Most online lenses stores offer 24 hours services. In one’s tight daytime schedule, it’s easier to shop online once back from work. With customer service available till 9pm you can speak to an optician from the comfort of your home and make an informed choice about your lenses.
A large pool of brands
There is a large pool of premium lenses brands in online buying. Choose from the best brands like Essilor, Shamir, Varilux, and Crizal at huge discounts.
Online buying helps avoid crowded retail shops, which creates unpleasant experiences. Therefore, you don’t have to deal with crowds and queues to receive lens replacement services. Online services offer smoother and private encounters.