Halloween is almost here, and that means it’s time to start thinking about family costumes. It can be hard to find the right one for your family, but luckily there are plenty of fun ideas out there. Here are some great fancy dress ideas I’ve found that will make everyone happy! According to the experts at Chasing Fireflies, “Whether it’s for Halloween, the holidays, a themed dress-up party or school activity, we have lots of exclusive family costume designs that will make you a hit wherever you go.”
This family will be ready for any superhero mission, thanks to the help of a few accessories.
To ensure that you’ve included every member of your family and have a costume worthy of Mr. Incredible, here are some suggestions:
- Incredibles is an animated movie, so if you want to get into character, add some cartoon-y props. These can be simple items like an old newspaper or a coloring book, or something more elaborate like a lamp shaped like Jack-Jack’s head with eyes that light up when switched on. If you’re going for detail (and let’s face it—who isn’t?), include anything inside your house that would normally appear in The Incredibles’ world—the baby’s toys; his blanket or other item; his crib; etc., even if these things don’t actually exist in real life! For example: I could see my toddler wanting to dress up as Violet using one of her dresses from our dress-up box (or one similar), which she would wear over her clothes (in case she got cold). Then we could put various colored pieces around our apartment so she’d look more authentic–for example: blue paint on our walls and purple fabric draped over furniture.
The Sanderson Sisters (from Hocus Pocus)
The Sanderson Sisters are the main villains in Hocus Pocus, a Halloween-themed Disney comedy from 1993. The three sisters live in Salem, Massachusetts and try to suck the youth out of children so they can remain young forever. They can be played by one person or by three people who are all dressed alike. If you want to go solo, consider wearing an old dress (or modern day clothes) with a black cloak and lots of makeup similar to the photo above.
If you want to get together with friends and make costumes for all three sisters, your best bet is probably buying some inexpensive robes at a party store or online clothing retailer—and then find some wigs that match each girl’s hair color!
Star Wars characters
You can be Princess Leia Organa or just plain old Leia. If you want to dress up as the princess, you’ll need a white dress and a pair of blonde buns in your hair. You can also accessorize with a blaster gun, if you have one lying around.
Western family (think cowboys)
- Cowboy hats, bandanas, and boots
- Cowboy shirts, jeans, and belts
- Cowboy chaps
- Boots (cowboy boots)
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- Goldilocks is a fictional character in the fairy tale “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”.
- Goldilocks is a girl who enters the house of three bears, eats their porridge, sits on their chairs and even goes to sleep in one of their beds.
- She also breaks their chair and takes a nap in Papa Bear’s bed.
Alice and Wonderland characters
Alice is probably the easiest to put together, and you can find all the items online. The key thing to keep in mind is that Alice should be wearing a blue dress—it’s important to get the right color because it’s what makes this costume so iconic. You can do your hair in pigtails, braid it up into a bun or wear it down; just make sure it’s long enough to show off your face! It’s also fun to go with an older-looking Alice and add some makeup or glittery stickers on her face as well.
There are lots of great costume ideas for everyone in your family.
So you want to dress up as a family, but you’re not sure what costumes to choose. Well, there are lots of great ideas for everyone in the family!
- If you have children and/or pets, why not choose a theme that will be fun for them? For example, if your kids love Disney characters or animals, then try dressing up as Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Pooh. They’ll love it!
- If you don’t have children and/or pets but still want to dress up together as a family, why not create an original costume idea that no one else has thought of yet? You could all wear matching clothes (like shirts with funny sayings on them) or suits made out of paper plates so that they look like real plates when placed together side by side during the party…the possibilities are endless!
- If none of these ideas appeal then maybe try some other styles: maybe take inspiration from popular TV shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Parks & Recreation or perhaps even go retro with something from The Brady Bunch!
We hope that you enjoyed our list of costume ideas for the whole family. We know it can be hard to come up with costumes for everyone in your family, so we wanted to give you a few ideas that are sure to please even the pickiest person. If none of these strike your fancy, don’t worry! There are plenty more options out there that will surely fit into whatever theme or holiday you may be dressing up for this year. Good luck!