A long, soothing massage can go a long way to change your life for the better as it helps you relax and take your mind off problems. It is an excellent form of therapy that tends to reset your body to its previous state of health. This art is continually evolving, and today, numerous massage options are geared towards unique and healthy results.
Massages are of different types, but classic massage is one of the most popular ones. This is a remedy for stress, also known as Swedish Massage, and it involves stretching, pulling, and pushing. These movements affect the skin, muscles, and some connective tissue, and the current method of classic massage was developed in Stockholm by Pehr Henrik Ling (1776-1839).
This form of massage is regarded as one of the oldest healing techniques known to mankind as its origin can be traced as far back as 2600 BC. In the 16th century, it became popular in Europe as a “form of therapy” as described by the doctor Paracelsus. We are in an age and time where this procedure is no longer carried out by doctors but by well-trained masseurs and physiotherapists.
Since classic massage involves stretching, pulling, and pushing, there are some movements and techniques dedicated to this form of therapy. For those who have patronized Origin Health Switzerland, these movements won’t be new to you. These movements include:
- Effleurage: This is usually the start of every massage session. It is a word of French origin that means “to touch fleetingly”, and this is employed during the application of the massage oil.
- Petrissage: this movement involves kneading and milling. During this process, the skin and muscles are grasped and kneaded with both hands in order to ease blood circulation and remove tension.
- Friction: as the name implies, this movement is aimed at causing friction. It is usually the circular movement of the fingertips on a specific region of the body. This technique is known to be effective in the removal of hardening.
- Tapotement: This involves tapping and chopping. It is a beating movement caused by the edge of the hands, the flat surface of the hands, or even with the fingers. It is aimed at improving blood circulation in the tissues.
- Vibration: this involves vibration transmissions and shaking. It produces a relaxing and antispasmodic effect in the muscles.
Massage has a significant effect on daily living, and these effects can be grouped into mental and medical.
Mental Effects of Massages on Daily Living
- It Offers a Safe Place: Sometimes, a safe place is all we need and massage is a form of therapy that offers this. The environment where a massage is carried out tends to affect your mental health. A good massage environment is known to offer a genuine feeling of security and wellbeing. It should also be able to offer peace, tranquility, and escape.
- It provides strength: Since massage is a form of therapy, it also goes as far as helping you find the strength you need for other aspects of life. Your individuality is an important element of life, and massages can help you reconnect with your power as an individual.
- Companionship: You can also find a loyal companion in your massage therapist as conversation and touch is an essential element of this process. Stress and worries can be unburdened this way.
Medical Effects of Massages
Massages have amazing effects on your physical health, and one of them is the increased blood circulation in the targeted part of the body. Its proper administration is also known to release the adhesion of connective tissues (fascia). Massages are also popularly used in the treatment of musculoskeletal system-related diseases. These diseases usually manifest through hardening in the tissues and chronic muscular pain.
The health benefits of massages are countless but below are some of them:
- It is a method of improving blood circulation.
- It is an effective method of relaxing the muscles.
- It lowers pulse rate and in turn, results in lower blood pressure.
- It helps improve the healing rate of wounds.
- Its effect is extended to the internal organs via reflex arches.
- It offers relief for pains.
- It offers relief for stress and takes away its effect on the body.
- It has a positive effect on the nervous system as a whole. Neurological related issues like spasticity and sensitivity disorders can be treated in this manner with the aid of targeted massages.
- It aids with the metabolism of tissue cells.
- It helps relax the skin and connective tissues.
If you are new to the world of massages, you should get the necessary advice on the type of massage or physical therapy technique that will produce the maximum result for you.