All children love to play, and play is a fundamental part of the integral development of our little ones, and it is better if it is outdoors. Today we want to mention some of the benefits of play and outdoor recreation for children.
It is a reality that in some homes, parents allow their children to spend more time at home, watching television or on their computers. This is their leisure and entertainment rather than playing outside.
Parents might do this because of safety reasons or because there is no culture of taking their kids out for some fresh air. They don’t make a habit of going out to play in an adventure park or doing some other type of outdoor recreational activity. But keep in mind that these activities are very important for the integral development and maturity of kids.
Why kids should be outdoors
Interaction with nature and contact with the environment is vital for the healthy growth and recreation of kids. They need to learn to relate to the environment around them from a very young age. Every outdoor lover knows that every outdoor activity requires high-quality gear. Our friends at Globo Surf have so many great guides and tips that will help you complete your outdoor adventure.
Kid’s games and outdoor recreational activities bring many benefits. And, these not only apply to children but also adults. Here are some of them:
- Improve their physical condition. Outdoor play allows kids to get exercise easily. This helps prevent childhood obesity, an increasingly common disease.
- Develop their creativity. It helps develop imagination and creativity in kids, who have to rely on their wits much more than when playing games in the home.
- Encourage autonomy. Besides being more creative, kids who regularly play outside are more autonomous and independent than others that don’t.
- Improve social relationships. Playing outside helps the development of social skills. This improves their social relationships with other kids and adults.
- It allows family bonding. Playing outdoors is one of the best forms of family bonding. The only trick is to dedicate quality time and attention to your kids and help them have fun.
- Prevent health problems. Outdoor play is also the best way to get vitamin D. Kids who don’t get enough vitamin D may have health problems later in life.
- Reduce the risk of myopia in children. Spending time outdoors helps reduce nearsightedness (difficulty seeing distant objects) in kids. Outdoor recreational activities need kids to change their focus of vision much more than when sitting in front of a screen for hours on end.
What the experts say
Based on the benefits listed above, and others, experts recommend that kids do outdoor activities in open spaces for at least an hour a day. They can enjoy the benefits of outdoor play, and to just have fun moving around.
Doing physical activities, especially outdoor activities, as a kid also has long-term benefits for health in adult life.
Forming good habits early on in life will help your kids remain fit and healthy and active throughout their adult lives.
So the next time you are stuck for something to do with your kids, why not take them to an outdoor adventure park. Let them try some of the amazing activities there.
For sure, the only problem you’ll have is how to get your kids to leave when they’re having so much fun!