Kratom is a tropical evergreen tree native to countries of Southeast Asia. It actually belongs to the coffee family. It is indigenous to mainly Thailand and Indonesia. But we also get kratom from Malaysia, Myanmar and PNG (Papua New Guinea) as well. It has been being used as herbal medicine in traditional treatment system in these countries since almost 200 years.
Kratom is actually one kind of stimulant and has opioid properties. It actually has a vast amount of usage. Some use it to cure chronic pain, some of the people use it treat opioid withdrawal symptoms. At low doses, it creates euphoric effects. Researches has shown that it is also helpful to reduce pain, anxiety and depression. Because of these properties, kratoms are now getting famous among people across the world. Now, whenever you want to use something, the curiosity crosses your mind about how it got to your hand from the fields of maybe Thailand or Indonesia. Even, about Kratom Reddit or Quora users ask a lot. Let’s try to answer it, shall we?
- Harvesting: Obviously, farmers need to harvest it at the very first place. Kratom is usually collected from Mitragyna speciosa tree which can grow almost up to 80 feet in ideal condition! The leaves of kratom are dark and shiny green in color and are quite large in size. A full sized kratom leave is bigger than the hand of an average human being! Kratom Grows best in warm and humid environments where sunlight is sufficient.
- Dividing the leaves: As we know that kratom have different strains of its own. The major 3 are the red vein, green vein and white vein kratoms. Each of the strains have different effects and therefor they are processed differently. This is why the farmers have to divide different types of leaves for different strains. For example, red vein kratoms are mostly consisted of mature leaves whereas green and white ones are produced from younger leaves.
- Drying the leaves: This is the crucial step. The very first thing that the farmers do is they dry up the kratom leaves. Some do it in the natural process. Firstly, the leaves are cleaned in water properly and then are hung on large racks. And then they are put in sunlight for specific period of time for the drying process.
- Making the powder: After drying the leaves and refining them, the dried kratoms are processed to make the powder. They are subsequently shredded or ground into a fine consistency. After that, an industrial grinder is used to turn the ground kratoms into even finer powder which is the same texture of flour!
- Post-processing: Here, the vendors encapsulate or make the extracts. In short, this is the packaging step. Although the powdered version is the most famous, capsules or extracts are also high in demand.
After this, kratoms are packed in air tight bags. This is a very crucial step. Kratom is actually an organic substance, so it is very vulnerable to airborne contamination. It is also degradable, so it is important to ensure that it is air tight. And there you have it, your kratom is ready to get to your hand.