Everyone has some amount of breast tissue, including males. In several males, the breast tissue never enlarges. However, for some men, it expands to such an extent which can become frustrating and often embarrassing.. Man boobs are a common issue for men all over the world. Gynecomastia, the medical term for man boobs, is the enlargement of male gland tissue generally caused by hormonal changes. But thankfully, there are many ways to tackle the issue. In particular, the exercise you do, the foods you eat, the clothes you wear and other possible treatment options can affect the appearance of the chest.
Read the article to discover how to get rid of man boobs and tighten those pecs.
What causes man boobs?
There are several factors that can contribute to developing man boobs and how large they can become. Moreover, identifying the cause of the problem is always the most effective solution that has long-lasting results.
- Hormone Imbalance- The imbalance between the sex hormones- testosterone and estrogen- in male body causes gynecomastia or man boobs. Testosterone controls male traits such as body hair or muscle mass, while estrogen controls female traits such as growth of breasts. The small amount of estrogen is produced by men also, and females also produce a small amount of testosterone. If estrogen levels in men are too high than testosterone levels, it causes the development of man boobs.
- Obesity- Being overweight may increase the estrogen production in the male body, which eventually, causes breast tissue to grow.
- Age- The age can be a significant factor in deciding whether one develops man boobs or not. For teenage boys, the hormonal changes related to puberty can often cause the condition. Men who are over 50, the natural reduction in testosterone production can have similar effects.
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption- Not only drinking alcohol can cause weight gain, but it may also result in the accumulation of fat in the chest. In addition to this, it can also interfere with the hormonal system.This interference can cause reduced testosterone level and result in male breast enlargement.
- Steroids- . Anabolic steroids are essentially synthetic versions of testosterone, which can be converted by the body into estrogen. The increase in estrogen levels can then cause the development of man boobs.
How to get rid of man boobs?
There are many tactics one can try to get rid of man boobs. However, be sure to speak to the doctor before making any major decisions or changes.
- Eat Healthy- Focus on eating a healthy, balanced diet. Make sure to consume plenty of vegetables, fruits and protein and reduce the consumption of carbs and sugar. Include foods that are high in calories and low in nutritional value such as whole grains, medium apple, medium banana, cup of blueberries, grapes, carrots, broccoli and steamed green beans.
- Exercise- Exercising is an essential aspect of living a healthy life. Therefore , some specific activities and exercises can help reduce the man’s boobs. Be sure to hit the gym. In particular, lifting weights is a great way to increase testosterone and tone the chest. However, remember to work out the rest of the body and undertake cardio training for excellent results. Try activities like running, jogging, walking, push-ups, swimming or cycling. Some of the chest specific workouts one can try at gym- barbell bench press, pec deck machine, bent-forward cable crossovers.
- Medication- It can be a useful method for tackling man boobs. As the condition is generally caused by hormonal changes, taking medication to adjust the testosterone and estrogen levels can help reduce the symptoms. One needs to speak to an expert before pursuing this form of treatment. Medicines such as Tamoxifen, Aromatase inhibitors such as anastrozole might help to get rid of man boobs.
- Lifestyle changes- Stop drinking as it results in the accumulation of fat in the chest. Keeping a balanced diet and not overeating can help in getting rid of enlargement of man boobs.
How to dress for man boobs?
To get rid of man boobs can be a long and challenging process, there are ways to disguise them in the meantime. The clothes one wears can have a significant impact on the appearance of the chest.
Fit- Choose clothes that are a little loose and don’t cling to the body. Normally, thicker fabrics with more structure will be better for disguising man boobs than lightweight designs.
Style- Fill the closet with a good selection of flattering options. Shirts are often a better option than wearing T-shirts. In addition, wearing an open jacket over a casual tee can completely hide any unwanted lumps or bumps.
Colour- Try choosing darker colour, than flattering hues. dark colours have long been loved for their appearance-slimming properties.
Pattern- Patterned garment can be an excellent way when trying to hide man boobs. Choose shirts with all-over designs. By doing so, it will distract the eye from focusing on the curves of the chest.
Treatment to get rid of man boobs
Treatment options may vary based on the underlying cause of the enlarged appearance of male breasts. Gynecomastia could be inherited through genetic factors too. If natural treatments fail to produce desired results, in such cases, surgery is a realistic option. Gynecomastia surgery removes the excess fat from the chest and sculpts the upper body to create the appearance one desires.
One of the most effective treatment to correct gynecomastia is liposuction. The liposuction surgery is performed through small, inconspicuous incisions. Thereafter, by using a metal cannula, the surgeon will drain out the excess amount of fat. When the liposuction surgery is done, the surgeon extracts the extra glandular tissue through the incision. Then, the surgeon closes the incision.
If enlarged breast tissue does not reduce with dietary changes, exercise or other treatments, a person can consider surgery to reduce their appearance. Understanding the root cause of gynecomastia and working with a compassionate and experienced doctor who understands one’s goals can put you on the path to a sculpted and healthier body.