In the United States, there are many causes of car accidents, most of them caused by human error either in driving or improper car maintenance while a fraction is due to driving during inclement weather like hard snow, rain, or fog. Careful driving is not enough and accidents may still occur due to other reckless or inexperienced drivers. Vehicular accidents cause car owners with numerous frustrations and problems, and sometimes it even costs people their lives. In case of significant accidents where a legal consultation is needed, do not hesitate to consult expert DUI lawyers in MD.
Car accidents happen every day for many reasons. There are many instances where the cause is unavoidable and yet there are also many which one could prevent. The first thing you have to remember is safety first. Focus on driving is essential. It is a significant problem if a lot of drivers multitask while driving. Many use their phones and other gadgets while driving; therefore they are not aware of the upcoming danger. Others also get distracted by their things or food falling on the floor. It is not advised to pick anything from the floor when driving. A few seconds off the road may lead to terrible consequences. However, if you get in a roadway accident, seek the counsel from a Personal Injury Law Firm. It is to ensure that you receive proper help and for you to resolve the case faster and smoother. Also, remember that you can avoid these accidents by following some safe driving tips.
Ensure Vehicle Is Roadworthy
You have to make sure that your car is in excellent condition before leaving, especially when you will go on a long trip. If it is old, have your mechanic check everything first and fix anything that needs repairs. On the other hand, if you prefer, you can always check the essential parts like the brakes, steering, lights and indicators, wipers, the tires, and the exhaust. Another thing you still have to remember is not to overload your automobile. Overloading will make it harder for you to control the car and it could cause you to go out of balance. A considerate driver and citizen lookout for both his and others’ lives around him, so it is wise to take safety precautions before hitting the road. Here are the most important things to check in your car to prevent accidents:
- Test The Brakes – It is one of the most important things to remember before a short or long trip because doing this ensures the security of the driver, passengers, and other people using the road. Brakes should also be checked during inclement weather when there is snow, fog, or ice as the road can sometimes be slippery, or there is zero road visibility. Also, damaged brakes affect other parts of the cars like rotors which require expensive repair.
- Inspect Your Tires– Your tires are your first line of defense against any inclement weather conditions, or any road or terrain type, so it is essential to maintain your tires properly. Make sure to double-check your tires especially in the cold season because tires tend to lose air pressure when it gets colder. Check for any signs of deflation, or cracks on your tires that may cause uneven leveling of your car. Tires that need replacing may cause you to lose control of your vehicle while driving which may lead to road accidents that’s why proper maintenance of tires is essential.
- Change Your Car Fluids – Your motor, transmission, differential, brake, and power steering fluid or oil must always be kept in check because your car runs through these oils. It is best to check these once a month or the usual 3,000 miles or 5,000 miles rule, and the former is for conventional fuels and the latter for synthetic fuels. Dirty or low oil may put extra work on your engine or rotors and eventually be resulting in repairs.
- Ensure Your Lights Are Working – Testing your headlights, taillights, and signal lights is essential during nighttime and especially during weathers causing zero road visibility. Do not drive with views that have busted or worn out bulbs. Lights are guides for you and the car driving along with you to prevent any accidents and ensure the steady flow of traffic.
- Test Your Wipers – Your windshield and rear wipers ensure a clear view of the road in front and of the way or car behind you. Unobstructed view from all angles of your car provides safety because then you know what to do in case you find yourself in a knot in heavy traffic. Wipers also ensure your safety during inclement weather as it keeps your windows clean and bright.
Driver Should Be In Good Condition
If you are preparing for a long drive, make sure you get enough sleep at night. If you will be driving at night, take a break every 2 hours or whenever you feel tired or sleepy. Another important reminder is to never drink before driving whether the trip is long or short. Make it a habit of wearing your seatbelt, make sure your passengers also do the same. Young passengers should always be in a car seat in the back passenger seat.
Preparing A Driving Plan
One practice you should get used to is being prepared at all times. Think ahead of time. Always have a can of fuel in the trunk and plan where you will refuel in between the trip. If you are going on a long journey, plan your route. If you are not familiar with the road, stick to the major highways. It is also advisable to expect where to stop for rest and bathroom breaks. Also, plan when to rest or eat. If you know you are driving at night, it is better to have a companion, else park aside whenever you feel sleepy.
Adapting To Road Conditions
Road conditions differ from one to another. Driving on the highway is better since the pavement is good. However, when you are using smaller roads especially in the countryside where there is lesser traffic, the roadway might be narrow and uneven. Make sure to drive carefully to avoid any accidents. Additionally, when it is raining or snowing, take precautions. Drive slowly; the roads are very slippery during those times.
Don’t forget to make these a habit weekly or even daily to prevent any minor or major accidents on the road. Also, remember to follow traffic laws, and be alert when you are driving.
ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTOR As the founding partner of the prestigious RCK Law Firm, Frank S. Cservenyak Jr. has built a reputation of experience and power specializing in several fields of the law: Personal injury, Criminal law, Commercial litigation, and Employment law. Franks’s love for the law led him down a path to Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, where he earned his Juris Doctor degree. Now he is an active member of many prestigious organizations, including the American Trial Lawyers Association and Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. Throughout his career, he has won millions of dollars for his clients in damages from wrongful death cases, personal injury cases, and product liability. Frank S. Cservenyak, https://www.rcklawfirm.com/attorneys/frank-s-cservenyak/