Under the term “rhetorical precis,” people usually mean an academic writing, which aims to summarize another text. When it comes to preparing a rhetorical precis essay, it may seem like a back-breaker for beginners, but once you learn the tips, you will be writing like a pro in no time. Learn more on wr1ter.com.
A rhetorical precis aims to create informative text by separating the author’s words and phrases to reveal the compelling methods used to obtain the audience’s reaction. This article will define the rhetorical precis essay and a step-by-step guide with description, tips, and guidelines.
Definition of Rhetorical Precis Essay
A rhetorical precis is a form of essay writing, where the author sees the discussed topic in more detail. The idea is to prove your point using compelling contrast compare and effective methods.
A rhetorical precis essay should be:
- grammatically correct;
- written in the present tense;
- clear and precise
- correspond to the analyzed text/speech/article.
Rhetorical Precis Essay Writing Guidelines
Let us move on to the specific instructions for writing this essay type. Here is what to need to do:
- First of all, you must read, analyze, and evaluate the source text. Then write down the key points. Your notes will ease the process of researching and writing.
- Determine the tactics and strategies that the author used. This way, you will grasp the background and feature the points that require additional research.
- To write an excellent rhetorical precis essay, the most critical factor you should pay attention to is rhetorical attractiveness or rhetorical strategy. Also known as rhetorical techniques, the authors use these to analyze better and structure the whole text. These strategies allow authors to use different sets of templates to express their thoughts and ideas adequately.
The most frequently used rhetorical strategies are:
- Comparison and Contrast
When you compare and contrast one or more things, you are looking for their differences and similarities. Comparison and contrast is a beneficial strategy that can help you build and support your arguments in a rhetorical precis essay.
Narration is one more effective rhetorical strategy of presenting the storyline, who is in it, where it happens, and its essential elements.
An excellent description can convince the reader and leave a strong impression on his/her mind. Some authors opt for an accurate description to describe the character’s appearance or even details about the location.
- Cause and Effect Analysis
The cause and effect analysis is a crucial strategy for genres such as critical writing.
As any other essay, a rhetorical precis usually has a five-paragraph composition, including one paragraph for introduction, three or more body text sections, and one for the conclusion.
Keep in mind that organizing a rhetorical precis essay is not the most crucial thing. The most important thing is to make sure that you meet the specific requirements of your writing task. Therefore, you are nor obliged to follow any standard essay structure.