Kids whether at school or at home use early math skills throughout their day-to-day activities, daily routine and experiences. Some of the relatable examples are getting familiar with their daily tasks such as brushing their teeth, taking a nap, going out for shopping along with parents, etc. All these activities can be utilized as maths learning opportunities if it is addressed in a certain way. In the overall development of children, maths plays a crucial role as it makes them familiar with the world surrounding them. Children aged between one and five years old initiate exploring shapes and patterns, count objects and compare sizes. Kids studying at preschool level use a variety of techniques to solve-problem and discuss their findings. The use of Maths is evident while playing games like block play, outdoor play, science play, etc.
For kids, educators and parents’ role is considered as influential as they see them as a role model. They provide opportunities for children to learn and develop new skills. Parents should encourage their kids to design their own play and support them by extending a helping hand in their play. Kids can also be encouraged to indulge themselves in counting activities for preschoolers to enhance their math skill. Children should get opportunities to:
- Let them create and discover new things.
- Introduce them to number concepts and make their skills to explore.
- Build confidence in them and their ability to think through things.
- Make them solve problems that are meaningful.
- Allow them to make connections to discover relationships.
- Children can upgrade their math skills by playing games like Lego.
Things Children Should Know About Maths
- Maths is important to help young children develop their mathematical skills and thinking. Children’s knowledge about Maths develops from the kindergarten level which later helps in academic achievement better.
- Maths is all about sorting, noticing patterns, counting, measuring, knowing the names of shapes, making comparisons, building, and describing the environment. Kids can incorporate maths skills in many ways into everyday moments.
- Kids should be aware of the fact that Maths is a part of their everyday activities. They should utilize these moments to develop their math skills. Each math moment will make children ready for more maths learning.
- Parents should talk about math to their children as it will help them to learn math. According to the research, it is said that introducing small talk related to Maths, like asking about how many objects there will be if we add one or take one away, converts into big results.
- Parents should believe in their child so that they can do better in maths and develop mathematical skills. It is important to make kids believe that they can do better in maths to become famous mathematicians.
- Children should shift their focus more on problem-solving skills rather than getting the right answer. It will help them to learn more.
- Parents should try out various methods to introduce kids with regular maths activities such as setting the table, cooking, etc. Kids can also be introduced to maths related games like riddles, puzzles, etc. It will help your kid to become confident.
- Few kids might feel anxious while learning Maths. They should work towards achieving their goal. It’s okay to make mistakes as it will provide them with the opportunity to promote a growth mindset.
Kids and parents can also utilize online learning for kids to make them learn and develop their Maths skills. Maths is a concept that your kids need to use in their day-to-day activities.