Australia maintains good relationships with other countries globally, which allows for the exchange of skilled labour to compensate for any shortcomings in the county sector. The Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) Visa under subclass 482 of immigration policies help the country achieve this. The visa allows many employers worldwide to sponsor a foreign employee to work in their businesses. By 2019, the Department of Home Affairs had granted about 21,614 TSS visas to foreign workers worldwide.
About The TSS Visa
Introduced on March 19th of 2019, it saw the end of subclass 457 brought down by the Department of Home affairs. Anyone with the particular skill set that an Australian employer is looking for can apply for the TSS visa.
It has three types:
- Short Term: Two to four years.
- Medium Term: Up to four years.
- Labour Agreement: Four years leading to permanent residence eligibility.
Only the jobs listed in the short term consolidated skilled occupations list are eligible to be granted visas for up to two years. Occupations on the medium and long term lists can be granted visas for up to four years or more.
Those who apply and get the visa can live and work in Australia for the specified period. The family members can also attain study and residence rights.
Eligibility For The Employee:
- Must be hired for an eligible occupation by an approved employer.
- The job must appear under the consolidated list of short term, medium-term or long term occupations. The nomination will be reviewed for eligibility by the Department of Home affairs.
- The necessary skills are required for a specific occupation with a required two years of work experience.
- Visa application qualifications and details must be correct with references so that the officials can cross-check and confirm its authenticity.
- English language requirements must be met through a standardised test at the time of application.
- Police clearance certificates and health and character criteria must also be submitted with official documents proving the date of birth and other details.
Eligibility For The Employer:
- Must be managing the business under lawful conditions and policies.
- The business must be authentic and reputed. Documents and licenses must be up to date.
- The occupation for which the person is hired should be genuine and full time.
- The employer must satisfy all conditions such as salary, employment and labour agreement policies.
Applying For A Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) Visa:
An applicant must take care of the following before applying for a TSS visa.
- The first thing an aspirant must do is ensure that the occupation is listed under the country’s consolidated skills list.
- Must possess a valid certificate from a recognised and standardised test for the English language.
- Must arrange the necessary health insurance during the stay in the country.
- Must meet the criteria for health and character during the review by the department of home affairs.
- Must get a nomination from an authentic employer after completing the sponsorship application from the department of home affairs.
- Apply online for the TSS visa through the DHA.
The application can take anywhere from 11 days to several months, depending upon the applicant’s qualifications, the type of business and the urgency of the post. Once approved, the applicant will get their visa, and they start work in the country.