Containerization resembles virtualization only, in virtualization, multiple operating systems run on the hardware of a single physical server while in containerization, several applications are deployed on a single virtual machine with the same operating system which is one of the unique advantages that containerization brings to the table. Thus containerization has often been seen as a light-weight version of virtualization and has gained traction over the years as more companies are adopting it for automating application development and deployment. This technology offers a more efficient and cost-effective production environment compared to relying on software and other infrastructure which are costly and less efficient.
Docker is one of the most powerful containerization tools. It uses lightweight application images that run on the operating system of the host and comes as one of the most secure technologies. The demand for Docker has surged with the demand for DevOps. As a developer, therefore, acquiring Docker certification should be an important matter of consideration. This is in addition to other top skills like Linux, Puppet, Python, and Agile software development.
Recruiters will more often require Docker skills within other development roles. Some Docker roles command very competitive packages and this is what this article will highlight.
- Senior Docker-specialized DevOps software engineer
DevOps engineers are in high demand and those with Docker specialization command even higher packages. The average Docker senior software engineer salary is $168,247 which is one of the highest paying Docker roles.
The overall responsibility of Senior Docker- specialized DevOps software engineers is to design and implement containerization technology strategies within a DevOps environment which includes the software development architecture, roadmap, and other utilities at the highest level of the organization. Some crucial roles they perform include:
- Building, maintaining, monitoring, and scaling highly available container orchestration systems with Docker
- Deploying and managing CI/CD pipelines
- Designing autoscaling mechanisms for Docker nodes
- Managing the development of cloud infrastructure
Top skills that the Senior Docker- specialized DevOps software engineers are required to possess include.
- Operation/system administration experience on Linux
- Extensive Docker and cloud deployment technology skills like AWS
- Container networking on Docker environment
- CI/CD application deployment using DevOps technology
- Experience working with monitoring tools like Grafana as well as alerting tools like PagerDuty
- HTML, CSS, XML, HTTP, or Java knowledge
- Web app development
- Strong communication skills because they work with project managers, other engineers, and other executives
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or a related field
- In-depth understanding of Docker operations.
- DevOps site reliability engineer (Docker & AWS)
The onset of large-scale complex sites and systems brought about the need for a separate role to keep all systems in check thus the site reliability engineer (SRE). SREs are tasked with the mission-critical role of ensuring that systems are designed to scale, automated, and fully monitored to function optimally on the AWS cloud. This role attracts an average pay package of $119,724 according to Payscale. Working hand in hand with development and operations teams, the SRE’s major role is to offer end-to-end support within the CI pipeline through the development, testing, and deployment processes of software. Other roles they perform include:
- Designing, developing, and testing CI pipeline tools
- Carries out site performance planning, risk management, root cause analysis, and builds efficient workflows
- Designing capacity and automation solutions to improve the CI pipeline performance to enable uninterrupted operation throughout the software development life cycle.
- Monitoring releases and deployments of a new product feature to facilitate rapid iteration
- Ensure site scalability, reliability, efficiency, and overall health for large-scale web services
- Monitoring container as a service infrastructure by designing robust troubleshooting, logging, and maintenance systems
- Offer guidance and improvement on cloud infrastructure on Docker over AWS
Top skills that the Docker software developers are required to possess include:
- Working AWS knowledge
- Software development and coding
- Linux, Git, and Docker skills
- Networking protocols
- CI/CD pipeline with tools like Jenkins
- Data structures as well as relational and non-relational databases
- Computer science, computer engineering, or a related qualification
- Experience troubleshooting Linux/Unix
- Systems administration experience
- Programming with Python, Java, Ruby, and C
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Docker Software Developer
The core function of a Docker software developer is to design, develop, test, and deploy complex software. These include systems software, operation applications, web software, UIs, and development tools. Docker software developers’ salaries range between $108,212 and $111,429 depending on the specific role.
Some roles that a Docker software developer performs include:
- Developing production environments, building CI/CD pipelines, and as well as building test and integration technologies
- Designing, developing, and deploying functional distributed systems in microservice infrastructure including authentication and authorization of the environment.
Top skills that the Docker software developers are required to possess include:
- Experience with Docker containers in Linux environment
- TDD Test-driven development
- Networking infrastructure, compute, storage primitives, CLI tooling with cloud environment technologies like AWS
- API design and implementation with REST or RPC style APIs
- HTTP frameworks or libraries with high-level languages
- Bachelor’s or Master’s qualification in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field
- Experience developing REST-based services on Linux
- Have been part of the design, implementation, deployment, and operational support for a software
- Knowledge of best practices like TLS and JWT in software security
- Experience working in an Agile software development setting
- Docker database administrator
The database administrator role is a crucial role in any IT setting. Database administrators are responsible for storing and managing data. They will design databases and monitor performance while handling any issues that arise within database systems. The Docker database administrator specializes in managing databases on Docker PaaS. This role commands an average salary of $86,759.
Other roles that they handle include:
- Integrating Docker with monitoring and logging technologies
- Maintaining and managing enterprise-wide database virtualization technologies most specifically Docker containers
- Troubleshoot data storage and management issues in databases
- Root cause analysis
- Enterprise improvement analysis
- Technical troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Scripting and automation
- Working knowledge of system monitoring tools and techniques
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer engineering, computer science, or a related field
- Experience in managing enterprise-level hardware
- Experience with OpenShift security management and OS hardening
- Experience in enterprise management and support
- Working knowledge of virtualization and Docker container technology
- Knowledge of infrastructure technologies
- System administration experience
There are several other lucrative Docker roles like the systems administrator with Docker skills and solutions architect roles. Ideally, the more the relevant skills and experience one possesses, the higher the package they will command. However, it is not possible to be a jack of all trades in IT. It is good to take time and choose a career path that fits your skills and then pursue it to higher levels while at the same time acquiring skills that support it.