Metal casting is a vital branch of metalwork that focuses on the making of specific parts or components that require precise calculations or multiple copies. It is an ancient practice that has fascinated us for centuries. After all, we have whole ages that see the development of metal and its uses. Nowadays, castings are more important than ever as we need uniformity in order to ensure the smooth running of many essential machines. From automotive parts to washing machine components, tools, weapons and jewelry, castings are the staples of many items we depend on. Read on to learn more about metal casting and the different types that are available.
As aforementioned, this type of work is thousands of years old and deals with manufacturing processes that would be too difficult or expensive to do in other ways. Essentially, it involves pouring molten metal into moulds so that they set and cool into the desired shape. These formed shapes can be the final products themselves or be used to make other components, parts or items.
Some of the most common types of casting include:
- Sand casting
- Permanent/expandable pattern casting
- Plaster with ceramic or shell moulds
- Lost Foam
- Investment casting
- Low pressure
What casting method you opt for will depend on the shape and size, material, quantity and tolerance you need. However, these details are all compensated for as this is a very diverse style of duplication.
To do this metalwork you must think about the pattern, design, mould, the liquid metal base, the pouring and cooling down processes. This is a craft after all in which you need:
- Adequate tools
- Proper materials
- A safe workspace
- A thorough understanding of the process
Benefits Of Casting
Metal work is a creative craft and an integral part of the manufacturing industry. There are many pros to metal casting.
- Often businesses that provide casting services have many years of experience
- Typically a vast assortment of metals can be used
- Large components can be duplicated using a one piece cast
- Tricky work or expensive procedures are made cheaper and easier
- To achieve the net shape there is very little post processing work needed
- Due to its suitability, you can mould wide variety of shapes from basic to complex
- The fact that metal materials are used means that the product will be strong, sturdy and withstand the process
- It is a popular method and so, there are many business out there that offer the service at a great price
Ultimately, this is a fantastic practice that has come to embody the expediency, affordability and adaptability of modern life. We are well aware of the many advantages of using all kinds of metal for different components and casting is a way in which we can accomplish accuracy and superb results without having to develop overly complicated or exorbitant procedures. Strangely enough, despite our continued advancements, it’s the ancient ways that stay with us and prove to be incredibly useful even for our modern tastes.