A common question that doctors come across when treating gynecomastia is, “Is there any way of treating gynecomastia without going under the knife?”. People, in general, are scared of undergoing any type of surgery. The pain, bleeding, so many medicines make them skeptical. Thus, they look out for treatment options that don’t include any surgery.
Fortunately, gynecomastia is one such condition that mainly occurs when there is a hormonal imbalance in the body. Therefore, it can be cured by restoring this balance which is possible without undergoing surgery.
Read below about the 5 non-surgical methods of treating gynecomastia without going under the knife.
Top 5 Methods of Curing Gynecomastia Without Surgery
- Medicines for Gynecomastia- This is the first technique that people suffering from gynecomastia choose to opt for. The medicines generally include prescribed drugs that people take at regular intervals in a certain amount. Doctors after a thorough diagnosis of the condition, recommend two types of medicines- pharmaceutical and natural supplements.
The pharmaceutical medicines can further be divided into two categories- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) and Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs). The former is to replace testosterone in people who are unable to synthesize it on their own. While the latter increases the synthesis rate of estrogen produced in the male body. The most common TRT medication is Danazol and commonly prescribed SERMs are Clomiphene and Tamoxifen.
The natural supplements aim to work similarly to the SERMS by increasing the metabolic rate of estrogen such that the hormonal levels come back to normalcy. There are three natural supplements that doctors prescribe- Scalreolides, Guggulsterone, Theobromine Cacao.
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Gynecomastia- Ayurveda aims at the overall well being of the person rather than just rectifying a particular illness. For treating gynecomastia in Ayurveda, there is a combination of Ayurvedic medicines and tips that focusses on removing harmful toxins and curing the root cause of gynecomastia. The common Ayurvedic medicines that doctors prescribe are- Tribulus Power, Arogyavardhini Vati, Hakam Churna and Guggul capsules. Also, they recommend applying a paste of ginger powder, castor oil and glycerine on both the breasts and massaging the chest with mustard oil thoroughly before taking a bath. Drinking a mixture of Haritaki, Yashtimadhu and turmeric powder in water can also help. Ayurvedic doctors also recommend taking Kaishor Guggulu capsules before meals.
- Exercises for Gynecomastia- Obese and overweight people are more likely to suffer from gynecomastia than thin, lean people. The accumulated fat on the chest tends to encourage chest enlargement as well as convert the testosterone into estrogen resulting in puffy nipples. Hence, the lifestyle modification of getting up and working is the first thing to do. Try to focus on chest-tightening exercises such as push-ups, cable flys, planks, bench presses, dumbbell pullover and sprints on the treadmill. In addition to this, don’t forget to add some cardio exercises such as running, walking, swimming, jogging, etc.
- Diet to lose weight- Diet plays an essential role in treating gynecomastia, irrespective of choosing a surgical or non-surgical option. There are some foods that are rich in phytoestrogens consuming that lead to increase of estrogen levels in the body. Thus, pay strict attention to the diet you are consuming. Make sure it checks the following markers-
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidants foods such as leafy greens, berries, beans, citrus fruits, etc.
- Zinc-rich foods such as raw milk, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, nuts, almonds that encourage testosterone production.
- Vitamin D rich foods such as mushrooms, cereals, trout, eggs, caviar that boost up sperm count.
- Healthy fat foods such as olive oil, meat, coffee, ginger, garlic, potatoes, butter, etc.
- Fresh vegetable or fruit juices without any preservatives and sugar to detoxify the body.
- Herbs to treat Gynecomastia- In addition to the above techniques, there are some herbal remedies available that can reduce the swelling of the breasts and chest enlargement. These remedies are easily available and can be both consumed or applied for application. These herbs are rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help in curing inflammation in the chest. Try using fish oil, passionflower, milk thistle, red clover, ginger root, dandelion, turmeric, and zinc supplements.
Can non-surgical methods cure Gynecomastia?
The simple answer to this question is no. But you need to answer the explanation behind the same. Patients have complained about several side effects after taking medicines for gynecomastia. The medicinal treatment results in unwanted side effects such as headache, fatigue, dizziness, general weakness, chest pain, difficulty with vision, unable to breathe properly, etc. In case the patient is allergic to the components of the medicines, it causes some adverse effects diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, vomiting and even asphyxia.
Not only medicinal treatment but the effects of Ayurvedic medicines such as Arogyavardhini Vati and Guggulu capsules also incur such complications. Apart from these, Ayurvedic medicines can also may not be 100% effective in treating all types of gynecomastia.
Although consuming a nutritious diet plan and following strict high-intensity exercises is an essential part of treating gynecomastia, this can only bring back the hormonal levels normal. The sagginess of the breasts may still continue due to extra tissue growth. This extra tissue can only be removed through surgery.
Surgery for Treating Gynecomastia Permanently
With innovation occurring in every sphere of life, people can now opt for the most advanced treatment now available for curing gynecomastia. Although it is a surgery, but the results are beyond compare with those non-surgical options. Within an hour of surgical treatment can help you achieve an enhanced chest contour for forever. The surgical treatment for gynecomastia comprises of two procedures- liposuction and gland excision surgery.
The first liposuction aims to remove the stubborn fat that doesn’t melt even with rigorous exercise and strict diet plans. The liposuction is the cosmetic procedure of removing accumulated fat around the abdomen, chest, underarms, etc to achieve an enhanced body contour. Whereas, the gland excision surgery is aimed to remove excess tissue around the breasts so that the area flattens.
Both these procedures are performed under the influence of anesthesia which means there won’t be any pain nor any discomfort during the procedure. After the surgery, with proper precautions and wearing a compression garment for the next 21 days can help in achieving results.
There are several advantages of these modern treatment options. Know about them below-
- There is no visible scarring as doctors perform these with great accuracy
- There is minimal bleeding due to small incisions
- Within 4-6 weeks, the results become evident
- The risk of any infection occurring is also very low
If you are looking for the most effective treatment, then go for gynecomastia surgical treatment without any hesitation. You’ll be satisfied with the results that come out.