Often people are confused by all the options for buying a weighted blanket. They don’t know what size and weight to look for. A little background on the weight of a heavy blanket and its therapeutic benefits can go a long way for people with autism, ADHD, and other conditions. This article covers all the important details to help people choose the right blanket for more restful sleep.
Why does the weight of a heavy blanket matter?
People who have browsed stores in search of the best weighted blankets have frequently been suggested to buy a 25 pounds blanket. The store associate often does that saying it is a general weight range that pretty much works for everyone. However, the truth is something different.
Therapists believe that a heavy blanket weight should be proportional to the user’s body weight. The standard weight ratio is about 10% of the user’s body weight. A blanket that weighs less than this ratio will not create a deep pressure stimulation in the pressure points to increase serotonin and improve sleep quality. Also, using a heavier blanket can affect the user’s heart rate, blood pressure, and respiratory system. This is why people need to purchase high-quality weighted blankets from brands that offer a range of weights and sizes. Gravity offers different sizes in the weight range of 15, 20, 25, and 35 pound blankets.
Who should buy a 25 pounds blanket?
The body weight of a grown-up teen or an adult balances quite well with a 25 pounds adult weighted blanket for deep pressure touch that gives adults a good night’s sleep. This makes it the most popular size for weighted blankets. However, a taller adult or an overweight person may need to go for a 35 lbs weighted blanket to get complete therapeutic benefits. Also, for smaller adults, weighted blankets ranging from 15lbs to 25lbs may be a better fit. For younger children go for a 10 lbs weighted blanket or a weighted throw blanket that is even lighter than 10 lbs.
Gravity specializes in offering a range of weighted blankets along with cooling blankets, flannel sheets, and weighted throws. Gravity throws weights almost 10lbs and comes in the size of 66” x 48” which is perfect for a child. For kids of age 7 and above, Gravity has a range of weighted toys of 3lbs and blankets of size 66” x 42”.
Benefits of Gravity weighted blankets
Gravity manufactures heavy blankets to suit people of all body sizes and types. Their blankets are available in sizes of 72” x 48” and larger queen size or king size in the weight range of 15 to 35 lbs. These premium weighted blankets are machine washable to ensure good hygiene.
Here are some other benefits of Gravity weighted blankets.
- Stuffed with fine grade glass microbeads that create uniform weight distribution throughout the blanket no matter how it is used.
- Glass beads are hypoallergenic which ensures proper hygiene to the user with the most sensitive skin. Most competitors such as Mink use lower-quality plastic pellets.
- Each blanket has a microfiber duvet cover or blanket cover that secures the glass beads inside and comes with gridded stitching that evenly spreads the weight. It also has a washable cover.
- The reversible outer cover is made using ultra-soft organic cotton fabric for breathability and to maintain a comfortable body temperature for hot sleepers.
- The removable cover is secured with ties and buttons or with fastening zippers to the blanket. This makes it easily removable for cleaning.
- You can machine wash the quilted cover and it can be tumble-dried. The inner blanket is hand wash and air-dry.
Gravity is a trusted brand offering weighted blankets, throw blankets, flannel sheets, cooling blankets, and cotton covers. Their best sellers are available at stores across the United States and Canada. Their products are also available online on Amazon with a top-notch warranty and generous return policy.