Perhaps plumbing issues are the most common problems faced by homeowners, and it can be quite frustrating. The intricacies of the system make it susceptible to frequent damage and issues. From clogged drains to leaky faucets, these problems can disrupt your daily life and cause significant inconvenience.
Fortunately, many common plumbing problems can be addressed without the need for professional assistance, saving you time and money. For major plumbing projects, you can seek the help of professional experts like Plumber Hawthorn. In this article, we’ll explore some of the most frequent plumbing issues and provide tips on how to fix them.
Common Plumbing Problems At Home
1. Leaky Faucets: A dripping or leaky faucet can waste tons of water, leading to increased energy bills. Usually, damaged or worn-out washers lead to problems like these, and it can be quite irritating. Turn off the water supply to the faucet to disassemble the faucet handle and replace the washer. After that, turn the water back on slowly before reassembling the handle.
2. Clogged Drains: Clogged sinks and drains are a common annoyance in the kitchen and bathroom. For minor clogs, use a plunger to create suction and dislodge the blockage. For adamant clogs, a drain snake or a chemical drain cleaner may be required. Prevent clogs by using drain screens and being mindful of what goes down the drain.
3. Running Toilets: A running toilet can waste an ample amount of water, leading to higher utility bills. Typically, this issue is caused by a malfunctioning flapper or fill valve. To fix it, remove the tank lid and inspect these components. Adjust the chain on the flapper or replace the fill valve as needed. Running toilets are often simple to repair and can result in water bill savings.
4. Low Water Pressure: Low water pressure can be frustrating when taking showers or using faucets. One common cause is mineral buildup in the aerators or showerheads. Remove and clean these components to improve water flow. If the problem persists, you might have to involve a professional from a firm like Sven’s Plumbing & Gas.
5. Pipe Leaks: Pipe leaks can cause water damage and should be addressed promptly. For minor leaks, you can use pipe tape or a pipe clamp as a temporary fix. However, a permanent solution would be to cut out the damaged section and replace it with a new piece of pipe. If you’re not confident in your plumbing skills, it’s best to call a professional for pipe leak repairs.
6. Running Hot Water: If your water heater is constantly running hot water, it may be set at too high a temperature. Adjust the temperature setting on the heater to a lower, more energy-efficient level. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, there may be a problem with the thermostat or the heating element, requiring professional service.
While some plumbing problems may seem daunting, many can be resolved with basic DIY skills and some time and effort. However, it’s essential to know your limits.
If you ever feel unsure about tackling a plumbing issue or the problem is beyond your expertise, don’t hesitate to contact a professional plumber Hawthorn. They have the experience and tools to handle even the most complex plumbing problems, ensuring your home’s plumbing system runs smoothly and efficiently.