Today, cosmetic surgery is gaining popularity across people of different ages. Most people choose to undergo different cosmetic surgery procedures since they believe they will enhance their appearance. And yes, this is very true, as cosmetic surgery will enhance your appearance by changing certain parts of your body that you are not comfortable with.
However, there have been some mixed reactions to cosmetic surgery. One of the recent debates has been whether to undergo plastic surgery or to accept yourself. To answer this question, let’s first look at the reasons why people choose cosmetic surgery.
Reasons why people seek cosmetic surgery
There are many reasons why people choose cosmetic surgery. However, we can group these reasons into these two categories:
- The need to get a younger appearance—which can be for personal or professional reasons
- The need to change a certain feature in your body that you don’t like
However, it’s essential to note that the need to seek any form of cosmetic surgery is very personal. After all, cosmetic surgery is voluntary, and there are no medical reasons that should compel someone to undergo this surgery. Unlike plastic surgery, most people seek cosmetic surgery to address emotional, social, and psychological issues.
Things to consider before undergoing cosmetic surgery
Here are a few factors to consider before seeking cosmetic surgery:
- Your expectations – cosmetic surgery is all about improving your appearance, not perfecting it. Thus, if you expect a certain cosmetic surgery procedure to make you look like another person, you are bound to get disappointed. You shouldn’t expect plastic surgery to help you save your relationship, improve your social life, or get a promotion.
- Cost – typically, most insurance companies don’t cover cosmetic surgery. Besides, the cost of cosmetic surgery varies, depending on the procedure chosen. The cost can range from a few hundred to tens of thousands of dollars. Moreover, you must also factor in the post-op costs or costs of extra corrective procedures.
- Risks – while cosmetic surgery procedures are considered to be safe, there’s always a possibility of complications. Some of the common complications include infection and bleeding.
- Recovery time – after undergoing the surgery, you will need a few days or weeks to recover. Thus, you must factor in the recovery process, and how this might impact some areas of your professional and personal life.
Now, after thinking about the factors highlighted above, it’s time to consider whether you need plastic surgery or to accept yourself. To do this, you will need to answer a few questions. Some of these questions include?
What’s motivating you to seek cosmetic surgery?
Did something happen to make you feel uncomfortable with your appearance? Or, have always desired to undergo cosmetic surgery, and now you have the opportunity? Always ensure that your motivation is based on your health—and you are not seeking cosmetic surgery to impress another person. At the end of the day, the procedure that you choose should be meant to empower you.
What’s your current status in life?
You need to evaluate your current status in terms of your emotional and mental health, as well as your financial status. If you are ok with your current status, and you need to boost your confidence and self-esteem, then cosmetic surgery is the right procedure for you. However, if you think that cosmetic surgery will help you to solve other issues in life, what you need to do is to change your mindset and accept yourself.
Why do you need cosmetic surgery now?
This is the moment to ask yourself why you’ve decided to go ahead with the surgery. Do you have an upcoming birthday or you are planning a getaway holiday in the forthcoming summer season? Besides, why would cosmetic surgery improve your life today? If you don’t have a clear answer to this, perhaps all you need to do is to take more time and think whether you need cosmetic surgery.
Will cosmetic surgery change your life?
Yes, you should believe that cosmetic surgery will have a positive impact on your life—and this will be by improving your confidence and self-esteem. And, that should be the only reason for undergoing cosmetic surgery. If you think that cosmetic surgery will help in solving issues in your relationship or your emotional problems, then you are mistaken. All you need to do is pursue cosmetic surgery for positive reasons.
It’s only after considering the above factors when you’ll know whether cosmetic surgery is right for you, or you need to accept yourself. All in all, the procedure that you choose should be all about yourself, and not because of another person. Besides, you need to make sure that you do the due diligence, and consult a surgeon, such as a female cosmetic surgeon from LabelleVie, before going ahead with cosmetic surgery.