Did you know that it is illegal to distil bourbon at home in the US? Whether you live in the US or elsewhere on the planet, there is no need to make this famous spirit from scratch, especially if you have access to the internet. That’s because there are many top-notch bourbon brands that you can choose from for your sheer enjoyment.
Refrain from assuming that all bourbons out there are the same. While some are genuine, others are far from the real deal. If you want nothing but the most pleasurable experience each time, make sure that the bottle you are about to order is real bourbon.
It Doesn’t Have to be Made in Kentucky.
Although indeed, bourbon was first distilled in the US state of Kentucky back in the late 1870s, it doesn’t necessarily mean that all bourbons have to be made in Kentucky for them to be considered as the real thing.
Bourbon can be made outside the state or elsewhere on the planet and still be genuine.The determinant is not where bourbon is made but the method of preparation. All bourbons are whiskeys. However, not all whiskeys can be regarded as bourbons. For bourbon to be considered as whiskey as well as genuine, it has to meet specific requirements:
- It has to be at least 51% corn. Whiskey is made from fermented grains. For whiskey to be bourbon, the majority of the mixture of fermented grains from which it’s made has to be corn. It’s because of the presence of lots of corn why bourbon is sweet.
- It should hit particular The grain mash, which is made primarily of corn, has to be distilled at 160 proof — that’s 80% alcohol by volume. The grain mash needs to be aged in barrels until it is no more than 125 proof — that’s 62.5% alcohol by volume. Before bottling it, bourbon has to be diluted down to at least 80 proof — that’s 40% alcohol by volume. Indeed, distilling bourbon is a lot of hard work!
- It should be aged in new charred oak barrels. Genuine bourbon can be aged only in charred oak barrels. What’s more, the barrels should have never been used before. Before bottling, the spirit has to be aged for at least two years.
It is pleasing and healthy.
Refrain from assuming that bourbon has nothing else to offer but its sweet taste with strong oak and vanilla notes. Did you know that its consumption comes with an assortment of health perks, many of which can be surprising?
Here some incredible benefits of moderate bourbon consumption health-wise:
- Lowered diabetes and obesity risk due to being low in calories
- Decreased bad cholesterol levels as it helps increase good cholesterol levels
- Reduced cancer and heart disease risk because of high antioxidant content
- Improved memory and lowered dementia or Alzheimer’s disease risk
To enjoy the fantastic health perks mentioned above, you should choose only from among the best bourbon brands. Getting your hands on a bottle of premium bourbon is trouble-free because it can be easily purchased online.
The best bourbon to get is genuine bourbon and nothing else. Currently, you can choose from various well-known and little-known brands that can impress not only with their quality but also with their taste.