When it comes to house pets getting too big for its normal size, it affects both humans and pets. Getting this started might get challenging, but buying the right food should be an excellent way to get your pets to avoid obesity.
If your vets give you certain foods that may be difficult to look for, you can check any online pet store if they have it in stock. The following snack alternatives can also be fed to your pets along with your vet’s recommendation:
Fruits and Vegetables
Green veggies are an excellent snack alternative for your pets, although it may take a bit of time to get used to. Beans often make a good crunch sound, making it more attractive to your pets.
Dogs love carrots, as the thickness and consistency are similar to a bone. Your dogs will not experience gas as it is gentle on the stomach. You can try peas, corn, or catnip for your kitties.
Apples are an excellent snack alternative, although you would have to chuck the core and the seeds to avoid choking.
Alternative Protein Sources
Go for snacks that are big on protein but low in fat, so you can be assured that your pet is not getting unnecessary fat. Fish and liver meat are suitable for cats, and they will surely love them.
Compared to popcorn cooked in oil, these are only 35 calories each serving. You can give it as a treat to your dog, and you would not need to worry about getting unnecessary calories.
Snack Tips to Remember
- Treats should be cut into bite-sizes that will not make your pet chew more than it needs to. It would also avoid any choking hazards.
- Check your pet’s reaction to any new treats that you give them. If there are any adverse reactions, stop giving them the treats and try new ones as soon as possible.
- If you have leftover treats and have several types on hand, mix them and keep them in a separate container. You can do this while waiting for your orders from an online pet store.
- Turn your pet’s meals into small treats. You can work it in a reward system when training your pets. They get the nutrition they need, but you do not need to worry about getting unwanted calories.
- You may take your pet out for a walk or a quick run. A good exercise out in the sun is as good a treat as any.
- Let them play with puzzle toys that can get them to work for the treat inside the puzzle. It increases your pet’s physical movements, and it can work on your pet’s healthy inquisitiveness. With the treats that are in the toys, it stimulates their instinct to hunt, lessening the stress they may experience in certain situations.
Last Points to Remember
Getting your pets to trim down can be hard and painful, especially if they do not get the exercise they need as your pets are house-trained or do not have the time to get them out and do their daily activities. Think twice about the food you are feeding them, or check with your vet for the proper diet plan that your pets would need to follow to get their weight in check.
Check out online stores that can give you alternative pet food sources and give your pets a chance to live a healthy lifestyle.