Flow is a blockchain platform that is fast and decentralized in nature. It is a developer-friendly network designed for the upcoming evolution of apps, games, and digital assets. The architecture of Flow is distinct and is designed for the purpose of scaling.
Flow enables developers to create profitable cryptocurrency and businesses indulging in crypto. Applications built on Flow can help its users retain ownership over their data, enabling the creation of new types of digital assets tradeable on open marketplaces accessible from anywhere globally. Flow also enables the development of open economies controlled by the people who contribute to their value.
On Flow, smart contracts can be constructed similarly to Lego bricks to power apps that serve billions of users, from basketball fanatics to businesses with goal-based needs. This article talks about the development of a full-stack blockchain application on the Flow ecosystem.
Steps to build full-stack blockchain application on Flow
There are three basic steps involved in building a full-stack decentralized application on Flow blockchain:
- Choose the features of Flow that you need to implement in your decentralized application.
- Get your full-stack customizable source code downloaded, as per the need of the blockchain application.
- Lastly, customize the code as per the application requirement and then deploy it.
The customizable source code contains the web UI, the smart contract, the server API code and the unit tests. The main sense of this code is to provide a user-friendly ready application.
Flow CLI installation
Install the Flow CLI, and you will get to run an emulator and add an extension of VS for code highlighting in Cadence files. Use the following command to install the Flow CLI,
sh -ci “$(curl -fsSL https://storage.googleapis.com/flow-cli/install.sh)
To begin working with Flow, we will be using the DappStarter to develop a full-stack blockchain application, and then we will get into code generation by DappStarter.
Create your project
- Visit https://dappstarter.trycrypto.com/
- In the ‘Smart Contract Stack’, choose Flow in ‘Blockchains’
- Go to ‘Languages’ and choose ‘Cadence’
- Choose your Front-End-Framework
- Go to ‘Smart Contract Features’, and choose ‘Non-Fungible Tokens’
- Then go to the section of ‘dApp customization’ and give a name to your dApp
- Then go straight to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Create dApp’
You will now be able to view a page along with a customized GitHub repository. Your GitHub repository contains features that you had chosen in the DappStarter. Wait for a few minutes and refresh if you see an empty repository, as it takes a few moments to update the codes in a repository.
Run your project locally
To run your project locally, you will require the below mentioned:
- Yarn Workspaces
- Flow CLI
Following are the steps to run your dApp:
- You have to either download or clone the repository into your local device and then open it in your IDE
- Then run the following command to install the dependencies,
- After installing the dependencies, run your dApp locally by using the following command,
- yarn start
- Once you run the yarn start, it will launch the Flow emulator and develop user accounts visible in the terminal. It stores everything together, generates the UI and runs webpack.
- You can now see your dApp opening and work with it in your localhost browser.
With rising demand for decentralized blockchain mechanisms and a speedy blockchain ecosystem, Flow is the rescue platform that revolutionizes the model of blockchain. Flow uses various upgraded tools like Flow CLI, Flow Port, Flow Emulator, Cadence, and more to enhance its efficiency in developing a platform. The Flow blockchain development services help in creating scalable and robust applications for startups and businesses.