Buying the perfect wig with the perfect hairstyle and color is important, but ensuring the lace cap you choose suits your skin color is just as important.
Imagine finding a Unice lace front wig with luscious full hair but the lace of the cap doesn’t match your own skin tone.
Don’t worry about it. We have some ways to help you solve this issue and we will share the tips and tricks of the trade.
Lace caps are available in 4 basic colors:
Transparent – The transparent color cap is ideal for fair or light complexions and even suitable for medium complexions
Middle Brown – Middle brown color lace suits natural or true brown complexions
Light Brown – Light brown is ideal for people with a fair to light brown complexion
Dark Brown – This color is recommended for people who have a naturally darker complexion
Choosing the right color lace cap
The idea to bear in mind is that you must select a lace color as close to your natural skin color as possible. That means the color of your scalp, remember your skin tone on your forehead might be slightly darker because it has been exposed to sunlight, so it could be a shade darker. The best option when choosing a lace cap is a transparent lace, because it is transparent your natural scalp color will show through the cap. This will give you a more natural look,especial for bob wigs (unice shop online here)
How to match your lace color with your scalp
If you have already selected the perfect wig but the lace cap color doesn’t match your natural skin tone there are a couple of ways to change the color of the lace.
- Use make up or foundation – this is the fastest and easiest method to match the lace cap with your skin tone. This solution is not permanent so take care not to get your wig wet when you are wearing it. Firstly, turn your wig inside out. Now take a foundation powder and a brush. Apply the foundation powder to the lace cap evenly across the lace. Alternately, use the same color foundation that you would apply to your face and cover the entire cap area. This is a quick fix and will only last approximately 2 days.
- Lace Tint spray – You can buy a spray specifically for tinting your lace cap. Wet your lace for the best results. Now use the spray on the back of the lace cap and allow it to air dry. Take care not to turn the cap over before the spray is dry. Also, it is important to read the instructions on the spray and follow them. A foundation spray can also be used however, this is not permanent and will wear off.
- Permanent dye – Buy a permanent dye in the color that best suits your skin tone. Fill a basin with warm water and add the dye according to the instructions. Usually, it is only a couple of drops of dye that will be used. Now dip the lace cap into the basin and hold it there for at least 10 minutes in order for the dye to permeate the material of the cap. It is important not to submerge the entire wig. Once that done, the next step is to rinse the cap with cold water. The cold water fixes the dye to the lace. Allow the hair and cap to dry naturally. This is a permanent way of coloring the lace cap and fir regular wig wearers it is the preferred method.
- Black tea bags – We all have normal black tea bags on hand, and this is the perfect solution if you don’t have dye. Place 10 tea bags in boiling water. Let the tea bags steep in the boiling water while stirring the water to allow the color to permeate the water. Once the tea bags have colored the water you can remove them. Turn your wig inside out and dip the lace into the warm water mixture. Frequently check the lace until it is the color you desire. If you take the lace cap out and the color is still too light. Make another mixture and dip the lace cap in it again. In this way you can be sure you will find the perfect color. Finally, wash and rinse your wig to get rid of the tea smell. Only use cold water to allow the color to set into the lace. Air dry or blow dry the wig.
How to lighten the lace on the cap
Some of the same methods can be used to lighten the lace on your wig cap. You can use the brush and foundation powder method or the lace tint spray method. Make sure you choose the shade that is lighter than the lace of the cap.
Here are some ways to lighten the lace:
- Bleach the knots – The hair that is knotted onto the wig make the lace appear darker. Pour bleach into a mixing bowl and add the cream developer. Mix this well with a utensil so that the developer and the bleach are evenly distributed. Make sure the solution is not runny otherwise it will run onto the hair of your wig and bleach the hair. Now turn your wig inside out. Using a brush similar to a paint brush, gently apply the bleaching mixture to the lace cap. Make sure you don’t miss any areas. Allow the mixture to process for around 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water. To finish this process, use a neutralizing shampoo to ensure you get rid of all of the bleach mixture on the lace.
- Purple Shampoo – Purple shampoo is available in most places and can be used to even out the hair color and the color of the lace cap. This is especially good when you have a blonde or grey wig, it removes the yellow or brassiness that has seeped into the lace of the cap.
These are some ways to ensure your lace cap matches your skin tone. The best way to get the results you want is to take your time when buying your lace cap wig. Your wig is an investment, so make sure you buy from a reputable company who will give you the right color lace cap to begin with. That is always the best choice!