If you’ve been thinking about upgrading your school system with a school management software, then this article has found you at the right time. With a management software, you can quickly and easily grant parents access to their children’s records on your secure website from the comfort of their own homes. You can do the same too, from any computer, anywhere as long as there is a stable internet connection. You can also handle after-class calls wherever they find you. Your own teacher contact information is also easily accessible. Management systems also make it easier for school administrators to manage enrollment, school records, and grading.
If you’re looking for a sign to invest on a school management software, this is it! But before you go ahead and get one set up, check out some of the most commonly asked questions on web-based school management systems. We hope you find the answers you’re looking for before you decide to get one for your school.
- Is there a school management system for all school types?
The answer is yes. There are management platforms specifically designed to fit the needs (and budget!) of all schools big or small. As a matter of fact, ease of online data management, a feature of school management systems, can save you time and money. Because the software is web-based and managed for you, you don’t need to hire or invest in additional IT support. In this competitive market for new students, having access to a streamlined website that allows you to easily view children’s progress reports, grades, and schedules can impress and convince parents to enroll at your school. Busy parents will also be impressed with easy online enrollment process.
- Are online school management systems safe and secure?
Yes. Considering the private and sensitive nature of school records, you’ll find that web-based programs offer some of the best online security out there. These systems back up files every 24 hours and stored on tightly secured servers. This means that parents are not only granted access to their own children’s school records anytime, but they also get a secure and private way to contact their children’s teachers through a user-friendly web-mail interface that’s available 24/7 too.
- Are online school management software programs easy to use?
School administrators and teaching staff will find it easy to learn and use web-based school management systems. These programs are not only easy to navigate but their intuitive data fields make it easy, safer, and faster to keep records.
Teachers and teaching staff will find grading a whole lot easier to do using these programs, because student information is organized using simple pull-down grade menus. In addition, it comes with a library of graphics and online storage you can use for your own school logos and ID photos. This gives you free reign to design great-looking progress reports, school awards, and eve customized report cards in just a few minutes, thanks to the templates on-hand. You can show pride in your school this way!
- Where do you get a web-based school management system?
Web-based school management systems benefit parents, students, teachers and school administrators. But where do you get it?
School management systems are available online, and they come with programs that can be customized according to the size of your school and your budget. Management systems are priced based on the features you want and need for your school. Because of this, there is simply no reason for you to delay looking for a management system for your school now.
School management systems have greatly improved over the years, and schools can now find new solutions that provide better value than before. A lot of schools today still rely on outdated, client-server management systems and there are some that even still use pen and paper. Open-source technologies and hosted cloud-computing programs let schools make the most of technology at reasonable prices.
How to Choose a Good School Management System
Businesses have been moving towards Software as Service (SaaS) products for a long time now. Many industries, especially schools, are following suit.
A well-thought out or effective school management system improves a school’s or educational institution’s efficiency and saves them valuable administrative time. The management software can help them collect and organize attendance and grades, prepare lessons, and progress reports. They can also improve communication channels between parents, students, and teachers, which results to better educational experience for everyone involved.
Choosing the best school management software is not a task that you should take lightly. There are many factors you need to put into consideration before you come to a decision. When doing your research, it’s important that you check if:
- it prints report cards and transcripts
- import past/old transcript data
- compatible with standards-based grading
- allows customizing grading scales
- allows for multiple grading scales in one school
- comes with a teacher gradebook
- provide access to parents and students
- allows students and parents to download homework online
- handles custom fields
- interface is logically arranged
- is it easy to create a class, enroll students, and arrange a grading scale?
- do you need to install any proprietary plug-ins?
- how easy or hard is it to go from one class to another?
- does it have video tutorials?
- the functional modules are arranged properly
- do you need to set up each module separately?
- what are the additional costs for different modules?
HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
- do you need to purchase hardware or is the solution hosted?
- do you need to buy a software license for SQL and/or proprietary database?
- do you need to install Java on each computer?
- does the school management software run on MAC, iPad, and iPhone?
- do they have a trial version available?
- How much do you pay for yearly maintenance fees?
- Do you have to pay a fee for setup?
- Is there a cancellation fee? How much?
- Can the school export data?
- Can the reports be accessed as .pdf and .txt files?
These are just a few of the things you need to consider when searching for the best school management system. In the end, your goal is to find a solution that not only benefits teachers, students, and parents, but one that they can embrace as well.