The ridiculous stigma that once surrounded baldness is now a thing of the past. These days, it’s considered one of the most iconic looks. This is undoubtedly great news for all men, considering the fact that up to 30% of men are affected by premature baldness before the age of 30.
In this post, we’d talk about some of the most iconic stars from the world of sports who chose to take up a head shaver for men and sport a bald look.
Top 10 bald athletes and sports icons
- Andre Agassi: Andre Agassi is clearly one of the top tennis players of the modern era. He has 8 major titles to his name and won every Grand Slam title at least once. Andre was once known for his luscious blonde locks but later he started suffering from male pattern baldness. There was a time when he started wearing wigs to hide his baldness like anyone would, but eventually decided to embrace his hair loss. Towards the end of his career, Andre Agassi started rocking a clean-shaven head.
- Zinedine Zidane: The French football wizard needs no formal introduction. The three-time World Player of the Year winner shaved his scalp before the 2006 World Cup, prior to the infamous headbutt incident, and continues to rock the look even today, as the confident manager of Real Madrid.
- Michael Jordan: No list of sports icons would be complete without NBA legend Michael Jordan. However, things weren’t always great for him. Let’s just say that his career really took off when he decided to go bald! He won 6 championships between 1991 and 1998 and was voted MVP in six of these finals. That’s not all! He was voted MVP 5 other times, the last of which was in 1998.
- Floyd Mayweather: Floyd Mayweather’s 50-0 record speaks volumes! Believe it or not, Mayweather has 15 world titles to his name across 5 different weight classes. Some of the many notable opponents he’s had wins against, include Shane Mosely, Manny Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, and Saul Alvarez. He is considered the richest athlete in the world with an estimated net worth of over $450 million.
- Arjen Robben: When the Dutch winger joined Chelsea for £12 million back in 2004, he had a fair bit of hair on his head, but it started receding soon. Robben was one of the decorated footballers of his time who was impacted by male pattern baldness, but he chose to embrace it. He picked up a head shaver for men and shaved his head. He sported the bold look for the remainder of his career.
- Shaquille O’Neal: The 7-foot-1 NBA star turned sports analyst needs no introduction. The four-time NBA champion played for 19 years for 6 different teams, and is regarded as one of the greatest NBA heavyweights of all time. Over the years, O’Neal has come up with rap albums, podcasts, multiple Hollywood deals, and even been a music producer under an alias.
- Thierry Henry: The popular French winger joined Arsenal in 1999 and turned out to be a mercurial talent for the gunners. During his stint with Arsenal, Thierry Henry became a prolific striker and managed to score 228 goals in just 337 appearances for Arsenal. That is not all! His simple shaved head complemented his striking fashion style. This is perhaps what led many to consider him one of the best-dressed popular footballers of the modern era.
- Kelly Slater: Kelly Slater is an 11-time surfing world champion, who also holds the record of being the youngest winner of the World Surf League at the age of 20, as well as the oldest contestant winning the same event at the age of 39. He also appeared in 9 episodes of Baywatch, starring David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson.
- Mike Tyson: The former heavyweight boxing champion is one name we couldn’t afford to miss! The icon deserves a spot on the list of famous bald people and continues to hold a commanding presence wherever he goes. Over the years, Mike switched back and forth from short visible hair to a fully shaved head – the latter of which he continues to sport even today.
- Kobe Bryant: Many consider Kobe Bryant second to only Michael Jordan. The late NBA superstar had a drive unlike any other athlete and is considered one of the all-time greats. He found greatness through his determination and hard work, and thus is an inspiration and role model to many.
Throughout history, many sportsmen have been synonymous with their lush hair-dos, but not everyone has been so lucky. However, many athletes chose to embrace it and you can do so. Buy any of the best head shaver available these days and give yourself a fresh start! None of the stars listed above accepted their fate and owned their baldness, and so you can do so too.