Lime plastering is one unique building material that has been in existence for a long time. Its ability to withstand harsh outside conditions is what makes it the ideal material for exterior plastering. It also has an advantage over the ordinary cement and gypsum materials as far as the following traditional properties’ internal plastering is concerned:
- It has a porosity that allows the building to ‘breathe,’ hence minimizing moisture build-up in solid walls.
- It has flexible lime plaster capable of accommodating general movement better than other modern plasters.
- This traditional lime plaster is ‘hygroscopic,’ which means that it is capable of managing moisture and can also regulate internal humidity levels as well as reducing problems to do with condensation.
Lime plaster is made of sand, lime, water, and sand, which is non-hydraulic. It is naturally eco-friendly, and that is what makes it an excellent plastering material. Using lime plaster gives durable and decorative finishes.
It is worth noting that for better results, lime plastering should be handled by skilled plasters. At Cambridgeshire lime plastering, we have been offering lime plastering services for over 15 years now. We have vast experience, and we are good at what we do. In this article, we are going to share the plastering services we offer to our clients who are either into a renovation or working on new projects.
Our Lime plastering services
Lime plastering is one of our specialties, and we have been offering this service for over 15 years now. When you allow us to work on your structure, we strive to ensure that we give the best and consistent services from the beginning to the end.
We also have experience dealing with different lime products that have various benefits. We, therefore, offer our clients advice on the breath-ability and insulating thermal values of every material so that they can make an informed choice.
We ensure that the product our client picks does give not only the desired finish but also ensure building durability. In other words, we advise our clients on the best product that suits the kind of structure they intend to set up. Below we have some of the lime plastering services we offer:
- Traditional lathing
Traditional lathing is a method that has been in use for many years. Its use can be traced back to the 18th century. If lathing is done right, it works on emphasizing the building’s character as well as reducing cracking risks.
Another thing about traditional lathing is that it is flexible, which enables us to follow the building’s unique features and curves easily. In other words, it is easy to work with.
- Savolit board
Savolit board is a wooden lathe that exhibits rigidity. We make use of the stiffness to straighten noticeable curves as well as other features. Savolit board has varied thicknesses. It is also flammable and has acoustic and thermal properties.
Another unusual thing about savolit board is that it can reduce cracking risks because of its durable, long wood fibres within the board’s structure. Apart from lowering cracking risk, savolit boards are eco-friendly with health benefits. The timber used to make savolit boards comes from certified sustainable forests.
We also provide insulating services. It is important to note that when using lime, the insulation used is breath-able. That is something we put into consideration because if it is not breath-able, the insulation can have adverse implications on the building’s health. We ensure that the insulation is long-lasting and that it does not cause any problems.
Note that insulation works by retaining heat and trapping hot air. The longer the insulation can keep the weather, the better the quality. When it has lower Watts per metre=Kelvin rating, it means that it is insulating well. When it comes to insulating, we use the following high-quality materials:
- Sheep wool 0.35-0.04 W/MK– This is a sustainable material that has the capacity of absorbing harmful substances. It is capable of absorbing over 30% of its weight in water. It has acoustic qualities and is inflammable.
- Hemp 0.038 W/mK– This is one of the most widely used in the building industry because it is eco-friendly, sustainable, carbon-neutral, and a means of insulating building. Hump has excellent thermal values and vapours permeable that allow moisture entry without affecting the abilities of the thermal. Its acoustic properties are useful, and it is resistant to insects and mould. In other words, it is not affected by insects or fungus.
- Woodfibre insulation 0.3 W/mK– This is another sustainable product that holds excellent thermal properties and acoustic.
As much as lime plaster is a robust and durable building material, it is worth noting that it can also be harmful. Lime plaster is made of alkaline material and can quickly burn your eyes and skin. It, therefore, requires that you handle it cautiously. Wearing protective clothing, safety glasses, and gloves when handling lime plaster, is highly recommended.
If you are looking for experts who can work on your new structure or renovate your existing structure, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are lime plastering experts with many years of experience. We will assess your project and give you our best opinion on the best material that will ensure a durable structure.