Laptops today have become ubiquitous, and are used by everyone, including students, working professionals and home-makers. With brands like HP, Dell and Apple constantly innovating and rolling out with upgraded models, laptops today are more powerful, and come with top-of-the-line features and better specifications. Laptops have also made desktops obsolete, as they provide greater convenience, enabling us to work on-the-go.
Laptops have become extremely important for students, helping them through their academic journey. From creating presentations, to finishing their class assignments and project reports, students rely on their laptops to get their work done. In fact, laptops have now become the most important source for academic research, as students can find research materials online, along with e-books and research papers.
What to Look for in a Laptop?
Before purchasing a new laptop, it is important to consider various factors, such as the screen size, laptop’s weight, its RAM size, processing speed and storage capacity. Considering students would want to work on their laptops outside the confines of their classrooms or their homes, the battery capacity of a laptop is also an important factor.
- RAM size: The size of a RAM is vital for the performance of a laptop, and greater the size of the RAM, the faster the laptop performs. Considering students have to keep multiple tabs open while doing their research, and might have to perform computing-intensive tasks, it is advisable to purchase a laptop with at least 4-6GB RAM.
- Storage capacity: Whether you want to download research papers and e-books, or plan on watching a movie over the weekend to relax, you would need adequate storage space. Newer models also come with solid state drives instead of hard disk drives, which also contribute to the faster performance of a laptop. Thus, students would be better off purchasing a laptop with 256GB SSD storage, and if needed, can expand it up to 512GB or 1TB later.
- Processor: The CPU or the processor of a laptop is one of its most important components, and faster the processor of a laptop, better is its performance. You can purchase laptops that come with either Intel Core processors or AMD Ryzen processors, and opt for a processor that offers quick performance and better multi-tasking experience.
- Battery life: One of the biggest advantages of owning a laptop is the fact that you get to work anywhere, even while you’re on-the-go. It is thus important to purchase a laptop with a good battery life.
- Screen size: Considering you will be working on the laptop for hours, purchasing a laptop with a good display size is important. Most of the laptops today come with either a 14-inch screen, or a 15.6-inch display.
- Price: Last but not least, you also have to ensure that the laptop you choose fits your budget. It is now possible to purchase the best laptop under 40000, which does not burn a hole in your pocket.
Best Laptops for Students
- HP Chromebook 14
Price: Rs. 25,000
One of the best laptops for students, HP Chromebook 14 sports a display that comes with a flexible hinge, allowing you to rotate the screen for up to 180 degrees. The laptop also comes with Chrome OS, and boasts a 14-inch display, along with 4GB DDR4 RAM and 64GB HDD storage, which can be further expanded up to 256GB.
- Lenovo Ideapad S145
Price: Rs. 31,000
The Lenovo Ideapad S145 sports a trendy 15.6-inch screen, and comes with an inbuilt numpad, which also includes dedicated keys for media playback control. It runs on the Intel Core i7 8th Gen processor, and comes with a 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD storage, making it the ideal laptop for students operating within a budget of Rs. 30,000 – 35,000.
- HP Chromebook X360 12B
Price: Rs. 31,000
Lightweight and compact, the HP Chromebook x360 model is one of the best laptop for students, as it costs only Rs. 31,000, while providing a keyboard and touchpad setup. Furthermore, it runs on Chrome OS, and comes with a 12-inch IPS anti-glare display, and runs on the Intel Celeron 4000 dual-core processor. The laptop also boasts a 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, and a 64GB hard drive, along with a 100GB cloud storage, while the storage capacity can be expanded up to 256GB via SD card.
- Asus Vivobook X541UA
Price: Rs. 31,500
Yet another budget-friendly option providing impressive performance is the Asus Vivobook X541UA. This laptop runs on 7th Gen Intel Core i3 processor and comes with 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD storage, and sports a 15.6-inch display.