Windows 10 is the latest series of operating systems developed by Microsoft and first released as a preview on October 1, 2014. It’s a very famous and effective operating system reviewed by its users. Although Windows 10 consists of faster and leaner software, and hardware more capable, eventually, the performance of your computer will slow down due to a lot of factors, including compatibility issues, bugs, viruses, or another form of malware, and even failing hardware, etc.
However, if you are dealing with a sluggish PC, It doesn’t essentially mean that you need to replace it. You should use a few simple software and hardware tweaks that can put some pep back into windows 10 and most of them are free. This article will help you with improving performance windows 10 and maybe you don’t need to go to an IT help desk or resources.
The ways to improve performances in windows 10 are given below:
- Disable startup apps
Many of the apps installed on your computer can configure themselves to launch automatically when startup and continue to run in the background. However, if you don’t use those apps daily or you don’t have a powerful device, they can misuse valuable system resources, that can significantly slow down your pc.To disable those apps at startup on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Open settings.
- Click on Apps.
- Click on Startup.
- Go to Sort by menu and select the Startup impact option.
- Finally, turn off the toggle switch for any application that’s not a priority, especially those marked as “High impact”.
- Restart your computer.
After completing the steps, your device should start faster than before.
- Disable relaunch apps on startup
There is a feature on windows 10 that can restart the apps from your last session after a reboot even before you sign in to your account. When this feature has been designed to speed up the process to instantly return to your apps, it can also reduce the performance of your system. If the app re-launch at startup is enabled, disable it follow the procedure:
- Go to Settings
- Click on Sign-in options.
- Under the “privacy” section turn off the Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an upgrade or restart option.
After finishing the steps, apps you’re currently running will no longer reopen during restart speeding up the overall system performance.
- Disable Background apps
Besides, background apps have the ability to run at startup, Such an app can continue to perform a number of tasks in the background even if you aren’t using them. If you want to speed up the performance of Windows 10 as much as possible, you can disable the apps that you don’t keep in the background or you can disable the feature entirely. To disable the background apps on windows 10, follow the step,
- Open Settings
- Go to Privacy
- Click on Background apps.
- Finally, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to close running from the background.
While you will complete the steps, apps will not waste system resources when you aren’t actively using them to improve performance.
- Uninstall non-essential apps
Usually, there are many pre-install apps in your device when you purchase a new device including the usual bloatware and tools that you never use that will only be wasting space and resources on your computer. The app that you never use, always keep in mind you should uninstall those.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Apps
- Then go toApps & features.
- Select the non-essential app
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Reclaim hard drive spaces
It doesn’t matter whether it’s a Solid- State Drive or traditional HDD, it’s never a full idea to fill up the drive because it will reduce performances. There is a way to keep the storage from affecting performance is to use Storage Sense to delete unnecessary files to reclaim space. To clean up a drive using storage sense, follow the procedure:
- Go to Settings
- Click on System.
- Click on Storage
- Below the “Local Disk” section, go to the Temporary file’s item.
- Check the files that you want to delete.
- Click the Remove files button.
After completing the steps, if storage sense was able to free up enough space, you should start to see a boost in performance.
- Check computer for malware
Sometimes, the reason behind your computer slowing down is because of malware. Viruses, spyware, adware, and other malicious programs are known to take up a lot of system resources such as memory, hard drive, and processor turning a device useless. Although every installation of Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender Antivirus, sometimes your device can be infected by malware. You should try running a full virus scan following the ways :
- Go to the Search bar on your pc.
- Search for Windows security and open the app.
- Click on Virus and threat protection.
- Below the “Virus & threat protection updates” section, click the Check for updates option.
- Click the Check for update button.
- Go to Virus & threat protection from the left plane.
- Below the “current threats” section, click the Scan options link.
- Then, select the Full scan option.
- Finally, click the Scan now button.
- Installing Windows latest version
If you are running an older version, upgrading to the most recent version of Windows10 that can help you to add new features and improve your device performance. To upgrade the latest version of Windows 10 go to settings and select Update & security and click on windows update. After checking the update, if it is available click on Download and Install option. Finally, Restart your pc.
Although there are many ways to improve performances on windows 10, the above procedure will ensure you the best performances and provide a faster windows 10 PC as it is recommended by its users.