As a horse owner, you are always concerned with how to keep your horse happy and healthy, as any pet owner would. These majestic beings, as all horse owners know, are definitely a lot of upkeep but certainly worth it.
Part of horse upkeep besides cleaning up their pins and giving them training and exercising is making sure their health is in top-notch condition. If you haven’t heard of CBD, it’s a new and natural medicinal use to treat ailments such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Because of its pain-relieving properties, many people are opting to use it instead of traditional pain relievers.
It’s also natural. Although it is falsely associated with marijuana, CBD does not contain THC, which is the psychoactive element that produces a high and euphoric effect.
Now that we know it’s safe for humans, you can also add animals to that list.
And yes, that even includes using CBD for horses.
CBD Acts As a Calming Agent
If you are experiencing issues with a change in your horse’s behavior, they may be experiencing signs of stress.
The best way to pinpoint this is if your horse is displaying the following behaviors:
- Refusing training or exercises – happy and healthy horses generally like to be stimulated through exercise and training. If your horse is refusing this, they may be stressed out.
- Reduced blink and increased eye fluttering – horses experiencing stress may reduce their blinking and flutter their eyes more.
- Overall jitters – if your horse is jolting, rearing and just seems like it can’t stay still, you’re most likely dealing with a stressed horse
- The “stress face” – one of the most common indicators of a stressed horse is flared nostrils, wide-open eyes that show their whites, mouth-tightening grip, and holding their head unusually high.
Although all of these factors could indicate something else is going on with your horse and you should definitely consult your veterinarian, they can definitely be signs of stress as well.
Since CBD acts as a serotonin receptor for the nervous system, horse CBD could help ease these systems and get your horse feeling like itself again.
Overall Horse Health
In addition to the calming benefits of horse CBD, CBD can also treat other horse health issues such as the following:
- Prevents obesity – since CBD has a calming effect, horses are less likely to overeat and have a healthy appetite while taking daily doses.
- Improves joint health – CBD can also improve the longevity and maintenance of joint health.
- Increases metabolism – horse CBD can also improve metabolism rates, which in turn increases your horse’s energy.
Now you can take comfort in knowing that not only are you helping to stabilize your horse’s mood but you are also improving their overall health as well. It’s not often you can find a natural medicine that can do both the things for your horse’s health.
Try Horse CBD
It is so important that we carefully consider everything we chose to treat our horses’ health. Since they can not communicate with us, it’s a guessing game when it comes to figuring out how to improve their health.
Instead, you only have their behaviors to work off and sometimes that can be tricky, especially for horses. However, since horse CBD is all-natural and has many wonderful, multi-faceted benefits for your horse’s health, it’s good knowing you can use something that won’t harm your pet.
As a horse owner, you need to be your horse’s health advocate so they can live a long and healthy life. Using horse CBD will allow your horse that luxury.