Yes, aluminum patio covers are noisy in the rain. As rain falls pitter-patter on hollow aluminum, it’s normal to expect some rapid noise. Also, an Aluminum Patio Cover can amplify other noises, like thunder, during a storm. Otherwise, the noise should be barely noticeable in the case of a light shower.
That said, the loud noise is a small price to pay, given the many benefits (more on this below) that come with installing an aluminum cover. Plus, the perception of noise is overly subjective, with some people finding the noise more tolerable than others. Besides, what sounds like noise could be music to your ears if you love the rain.
But let’s give the devil his due. Such covers have a lot going for them, if I may. Here’s a look at the upsides of such aluminum patio covers, including the steps you can take to dial down the noise.
Aluminum patio covers are an excellent investment for any homeowner. For starters, they’re durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear. Some variants sport a powder-coat finish, making them resistant to corrosion, chipping, and fading. And due to their solid design, these patio covers can weather the heaviest storm once installed.
Unlike wood covers, which you need to sand and repaint every few years, aluminum requires very little maintenance. Just some occasional washing with soapy water is all there is to it. Besides, wood is a termite magnet, while aluminum is not. So, you’ll save a lot of money on termite control in the long run.
- Value for Money
Aluminum covers offer an excellent ROI. Besides, they’re much cheaper than wood covers, yet, offer the same level of protection from the sun and rain. They also increase the value of your home. As a result, should you ever decide to sell it, you can expect to recoup most, if not all, of your investment.
- Installation is a Cinch
Truth be told, some materials can be a pain to install, but not so with aluminum. Patio covers made from this metal are straightforward to set up. In fact, with the help of a few friends or family members, you can have your cover-up in no time – if you’re DIY-inclined.
You can find aluminum covers in a wide range of colors and styles. So, you’re sure to settle for an option that complements your home’s architecture and overall aesthetic. And since they don’t rot, warp, or crack, they look as good as new for many years. In short, such covers offer a set-it-and-forget-it proposition.
- Energy Efficiency
As you relax outdoors, you want to stay cool and comfortable without having to run the air conditioner at full blast. Aluminum covers can help you save on energy costs. They block out the sun’s rays and keep your home cooler during the summer. And in winter, they allow the sun’s heat to penetrate, reducing your heating costs.
Noise Reduction Tips
As is apparent, aluminum coverings have a lot to offer. But the noise they make in the rain can be a bit of a turnoff for some people. If you’re on the fence or want to return your cover due to this reason, here’re some pointers to help reduce the noise:
- Install an underlayment material such as felt paper or acoustical matting underneath your patio cover. This helps muffle and deaden the noise somewhat. Similarly, you may ask your contractor to add a layer of insulation to reduce the noise further.
- Fit soffit panels on the underside of your patio cover to help dissipate the noise. These are available in various materials, including fiberglass, aluminum, and vinyl.
- Go for acoustic-grade ceiling tiles to line the underside of your cover. These can significantly dampen the noise.
- Integrated gutters can also help reduce noise. By channeling the rainwater away from your patio cover, they prevent the water droplets from hitting and making noise on the aluminum surface.
- You can turn up the volume on your stereo – talk of fighting fire with fire – to drown out the noise of the rain. Okay, this might not work for everyone, but it’s worth a shot, right? But remember, your ears are more delicate than you think, so don’t go too loud.
- A little ingenuity won’t hurt. Use your fan to create white noise to drown out the sound of raindrops falling on your patio cover. That way, you can enjoy the outdoors without being bothered by the noise.
If you’re like me and don’t mind the noise, go ahead and make the purchase. After all, every material has its upsides and downsides, and aluminum is no different. All the same, aluminum patio covers can change the look and feel of your outdoor space, making them an excellent investment.